2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

47RE Park rods removal & install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM
portlandv10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47RE Park rods removal & install

Had to drop the Valve Bpdy out to change out all sensor plugs and noticed that I could not pull the park rod out. Any tips on getting it out?

Whats the proper removal and reinstall steps?

Also whats the proper e-clip size?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 PM
portlandv10

It also feels like the rod is just "swimming" in the tunnel so speak. it doesnt feel engaged to anything. Ideas?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Why would you want to pull it out? I am not even sure you CAN, without pulling the O/D unit.......

Grab a service manual for your truck from here. Might prove helpful.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:29 PM
portlandv10

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why would you want to pull it out? I am not even sure you CAN, without pulling the O/D unit.......

Grab a service manual for your truck from here. Might prove helpful.
Thanks for the manual. Also...have a question regarding what happens when i pull on the rod to 'remove' it . It appears to hit something in the front inside the tunnel then if i do push it in it seems to hit the back wall 'so to speak'. I followed this - BD Diesel 1030418 Valve Body Installation Instructions, because it appeared well written, but I got concerned about not being able to pull it out like some of the videos on the topic, and also got even more concerned that it is just 'sitting' in there and has that much play.
Is that expected?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by portlandv10
Thanks for the manual. Also...have a question regarding what happens when i pull on the rod to 'remove' it . It appears to hit something in the front inside the tunnel then if i do push it in it seems to hit the back wall 'so to speak'. I followed this - BD Diesel 1030418 Valve Body Installation Instructions, because it appeared well written, but I got concerned about not being able to pull it out like some of the videos on the topic, and also got even more concerned that it is just 'sitting' in there and has that much play.
Is that expected?
I don't know..... Dig thru the service manual, and see if it can shed any light on the topic. My transmission knowledge is somewhat limited.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
portlandv10

Thanks for the manual. I was able to fix this myself and discovered that the park rod did not need removing, only the C clip. In my case I had a missing c clip and pulled my entire valve body to check for any loose clips etc. I was able to find the C clip at Napa Autoparts ( i bought a few to check sizes).

To install the clip, I highly suggest you build your self a "tool" out of fuel line. I crushed one end of the fuel line and cut a 'notch' in it to hold the c-clip and slid it into the pin. This is truly the easiest if not only way. It took me 30 mins to do it. I have heard of nightmare stories of people taking days at it. The notched fuel line c-clip holder is the way to go for this.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pics would really help here.