2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Some advice needed

Ok here are the problems and please recommend replacement parts and your suggestions.
Drivers wheel bearing is bad, what's a good replacement?
Factory posi doesn't seem to work all the time what's a good thing to check? I just changed the fluid in the diffs didn't see anything abnormal.
Got a shake when driving, I'm thinking wheel bearing?..
Need 3in longer shocks I'm thinking rancho with the little fluid reservoir that you mount next to the shock. Are they good?
Any recommendations on a good lift?
Any way to get more flex out of these trucks? Any recommendations?
HeyYou I figured out he changed everything electrical from a 96 when he changed the cab and axles

Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

National makes good bearings, or timkin.....

Could rebuild the posi..... they are notorious for the clips breaking, and then not working properly. Not to mention, they do wear out..... Either that, or replace it with something better. (detroit true trac, or locker?)

Fix the wheel bearing, see if the vibration disappears.

Most folks recommend the bilstein 5100s for replacement shocks.

Notta clue.

When you buy your lift, make sure it is a long-arm lift. (require moving the mounts for the control arms.) Sway bar disconnects wouldn't hurt either. (some folks just remove the sway bar altogether.)

Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
National makes good bearings, or timkin.....

Could rebuild the posi..... they are notorious for the clips breaking, and then not working properly. Not to mention, they do wear out..... Either that, or replace it with something better. (detroit true trac, or locker?)

Fix the wheel bearing, see if the vibration disappears.

Most folks recommend the bilstein 5100s for replacement shocks.

Notta clue.

When you buy your lift, make sure it is a long-arm lift. (require moving the mounts for the control arms.) Sway bar disconnects wouldn't hurt either. (some folks just remove the sway bar altogether.)
Ill try all that Bilstein won't work as I need a shock 3in longer then a factory shock and I don't think I saw that option on rockauto. I'm also going to install longer coils with the lift to give it more flex after I get those axles off you. I just don't know if I should fix the axles or just wait since I'm getting the other ones off you

Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

No point putting money into axles you are not going to use. Install the lift, and all the other fun stuff, with the new-to-you axles.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Ok here are the problems and please recommend replacement parts and your suggestions.
Drivers wheel bearing is bad, what's a good replacement?
Factory posi doesn't seem to work all the time what's a good thing to check? I just changed the fluid in the diffs didn't see anything abnormal.
Got a shake when driving, I'm thinking wheel bearing?..
Need 3in longer shocks I'm thinking rancho with the little fluid reservoir that you mount next to the shock. Are they good?
Any recommendations on a good lift?
Any way to get more flex out of these trucks? Any recommendations?
HeyYou I figured out he changed everything electrical from a 96 when he changed the cab and axles
1. Timken only. It's OEM and the best
2. Did you add friction modifier?
3. Won't find longer shocks on rockauto. Check summitracing or go to a dealer site. I love my Skyjacker M95s
4. Skyjacker for the win
5. Remove the anti-sway bar and get control arms with heim joints
6. Huh?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
1. Timken only. It's OEM and the best
2. Did you add friction modifier?
3. Won't find longer shocks on rockauto. Check summitracing or go to a dealer site. I love my Skyjacker M95s
4. Skyjacker for the win
5. Remove the anti-sway bar and get control arms with heim joints
6. Huh?
1. Thanks
2. Yes I did added the squeeze bottle as recommended first newer posi I owned
3. Rockauto actually does sell them go to shocks and under modified they have them up to 3" bigger
4. I'll check them out thanks
5. Already removed sway bar my plan is long arms with heim and longer coils. I designed lifts in the past as my job.
6. Is for hey you as we were talking on the phone. The kid I bought the truck off of messed with it. It's a factory 01 2500hd with 24v he swapped the cab due to rust (took it from a 4dr to a 2dr 96 cab and dash and swapped a 12V). Since then I swapped to a 360

Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

SKF makes good beariings also. I'd start there and new Spicer u-joints, 5-3226x have the needle grease fitting in the cap if you have a 1500. My daughter has Skyjacker, I have 2 sets of KYB gasajust's , and my daughter's boyfriend has Bilsteins. They all work well.
http://atlassuspension.com

Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 2bit
SKF makes good beariings also. I'd start there and new Spicer u-joints, 5-3226x have the needle grease fitting in the cap if you have a 1500. My daughter has Skyjacker, I have 2 sets of KYB gasajust's , and my daughter's boyfriend has Bilsteins. They all work well.
http://atlassuspension.com
Thanks! I'll check them out

Old 11-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Go to the manufacture website of the shocks you are going to use. They will list different part #'s for shocks with lift(depending on how much). I know rancho does this because i looked up the part #'s of what i needed before shopping for them. There are also different gvwr ratings.