2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 PM
JJDH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start

Don't beat me,up,to bad, I've googled and replaced parts and sorta trouble shot, ill give readings from,multimeter on Monday evening, trucks been down for two and half weeks, its winter here in wa

2000 dodge ram 2500, long bed, quad cab, SLT Laramie, 360 magnum 5.9l v8 engine, 201,000 miles
Manual NV4500

Turn key to last click, and nothing.
so I do not have my manuals in front,of me.
Truck parts replaced.

Clutch safety switch
Key ignition switch
key starter Module switch key ignition sits in
new starter
New fuse relay the black one,
new asd fuse
and new 30 amp fuse,
All door panel fuses check good
Battery fully charged,
Everything connected nice and tight

Also when I replaced the key system, I had a wore with a big loop in it under the cover of the steering lock. , so what is this and where does it go. Can't find,it on YouTube or Google. Or manuals,

so why wont,it start over? Could it be the ground wire under the battery box? Could it be the pdc that hold the fuses on 87 or slot 3 on the wire holder in front of pdc? Could it be the ground wire in,the drive or steering box or wherewver it is? Could it be the ignition coil, last tine,it wouldn't start it was the wire from the distributor to the coil was nicked and arching against exhaust manifold. I will replace the coil and check the wire Monday. Truck is not here . my buddy jumoed it somehow but I can't seem to get it to do that. Nor do,I want to.

service member, my rams been through a lot with me, don't wanna sell it and then kater try to,find,it again, but I do,t want it being a yard ornament either, I'm,not a electrician, how do I by pass and crank the stated with a on,off switch

I have power to every thing but the wire going to the selonoid on the starter , since its a plug connection.buddy chexked it with a test light,

The truck is now gonna be a work truck and slow rebuild up grade .

Pics and video or link,to video to follow Monday , ill probably jump it to get it home. Anyway. Starter wont engage to spin over,

Thank you to those who have served and are seeving and those getting ready to serve and then those who are thinking about serving.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Starter gets its power from the starter relay, which gets it's power from the battery. Need to find out WHERE you are losing the power. Yank the starter relay, check and see if you have battery voltage on pin 30. (labeled on bottom of relay, just test the corresponding socket in the PDC. even a test light will work.) If you have power there, next, check and see if you are getting power from the ignition switch on pin 86. That will have power only when the ignition is in the start position. (so, you'll need a second pair of hands.) If THAT works, test the ground side of the circuit. (pin 85) With the clutch depressed, that should go directly to ground. (having a volt meter makes this exercise a LOT easier......) If that works, like the wire from the relay, to the starter, is broken somewhere.

You can download a service manual from here. Starter circuit is on page 8W21-2.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:38 PM
JJDH
Default Continuation

Check the relay in,the pdc with a light tester tonight , pin 86 is getting no electricity, light did not,light up, so pin 30 and the pin across from 86 both lit the light up .

Old 11-12-2017, 09:41 PM
JJDH
Default Continuation no start

Hey you pin 30 and,85 made the light tester light up, pin 86 did not, also attaches is some,funky wire loop in my steering column . so,if pin 86 isnt lightening,up what could cause that issue, its a new relay, so I know,its working cause it makes a clicking,sound . When,i replaced the key system this poppes out, hehehe

Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If the relay clicks, the control circuit is working. Check and see if you are getting power to the little wire down on the starter when someone turns the key.