2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Excess cooling system pressure

Old 01-21-2018, 12:03 AM
Johnboy52
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do both radiator hoses get hard or one hard and the other collapse?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnboy52
Do both radiator hoses get hard or one hard and the other collapse?
Both hoses get hard upon start up. Takes only 1 minute.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Blown head gasket.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Blown head gasket.
I agree with you HeyYou. The only other thing would be if they were used heads that were the replacement part and they didn't get Magna fluxed to check for cracks. It definitely sounds like engine pressure blowing into the cooling system.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Blown head gasket.
But it's not. I already replace the heads and gaskets with fel pro gaskets, and brand new Odessa cylinder heads. Still has the same issue now before I did the job. And when I took it apart the first time, I saw no signs of a blown head gasket. I'm thinking it's a cracked block, and I'm trying to figure out which cylinder it's in, and what the best way to do that is.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by CJSuhr
But it's not. I already replace the heads and gaskets with fel pro gaskets, and brand new Odessa cylinder heads. Still has the same issue now before I did the job. And when I took it apart the first time, I saw no signs of a blown head gasket. I'm thinking it's a cracked block, and I'm trying to figure out which cylinder it's in, and what the best way to do that is.
Is there ANY chance you could of buggered up one of the head gaskets when putting them in? I have done that before but I admit it is rare to do it.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnboy52
Is there ANY chance you could of buggered up one of the head gaskets when putting them in? I have done that before but I admit it is rare to do it.
Well there's always a chance, but I don't think it's likely in this situation because the problem was present before I put heads and gaskets on it as well.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

The ONLY way the cooling system can develop that much pressure, that fast, is if cylinder pressure is finding its way in there. There is no other method I know of that makes the hoses get that hard, that fast.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
jlake4130
Professional

Jack the front of the vehicle off the ground 8 inches or so when filling the radiator with coolant. This will help any air in the system find its way out. Once its full and the truck is back on LEVEL ground have someone start the engine while you watch the radiator opening for bubbling (radiator cap off). If your hoses are pumping up as fast as you say there must be a good amount of bubbles in the coolant. If you see bubbles you know the head gasket is not sealing or a cracked block. Doing the comp test will help you know which cylinder to look at when taking it back apart.

Also, the hoses are new and soft when the engine is off correct? New thermostat too?

Did the engine ever get too hot where the block could have warped and the heads wont seal now?

Just spit balling possibilities...
Good luck!

Search this Thread