2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water outlet on manifold resembles the surface of the Moon!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 PM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water outlet on manifold resembles the surface of the Moon!

I was in the process of chasing a coolant leak. I had the week off from work, the weather is decent for this time of year, and my truck needed attention... the leak was a drip on the ground toward the front of the engine while idling. No hoses or radiator leaks were apparent. So I picked up a Gates water pump at the local parts store I deal with ( not the Zone!!) Well you all know the "walk in the park" changing a water pump on a 5.9l (360 cid) gas engine can be!!!
The water pump job went well, I went with all new hoses clamps, and fan clutch as well, as my clutch fan was not clutching any more!! I got changing the thermostat and when I removed the hose outlet, I discovered the manifold mating surface was corroded and HEAVILY pitted where the gasket mating surface is!
I am having difficulties uploading a pic, but I'll keep trying.
Mike

Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Here is a pic of the manifold
water outlet on manifold resembles the surface of the Moon!-20171121_212551.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

yeah that looks pretty bad, mine did not look that bad although the water neck did. how many miles? is it good though, no leaks? my timing chain cover (that one housing behind the water pump) was eaten up good in couple places but i managed to seal it back up with no leaks, suprisingly. my last water pump was from the dealer so hopefully it will last longer than what was previously used. I personally like autozone but there are some parts i would not buy from any big box store.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, my bypass inlet was corroded too. It happens. Try to sand it smooth again and reseal. You'll be fine!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

235,000+ miles on chassis, 360 gas engine is what was in truck from factory, not sure if THIS is the original, but probably is. Replaced the passenger side cylinder head with a known good running used one at around 212 thou on the clock.
I had luck getting the water outlet to seal up ... so far so good using , in most opinions as a rather EXTREME method , but hey, it's working so sar! I hadn't posted because I wanted to run it for a while before I posted it was leak free!!!

When I applied the RTV, I was Xtremely carefull NOT to get it in on the Thermostat

Attached Thumbnails water outlet on manifold resembles the surface of the Moon!-20171122_121614.jpg   water outlet on manifold resembles the surface of the Moon!-20171121_215058.jpg  
Old 12-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad I didn't see this sooner, or I would have recommended you refilling your vehicle's cooling system with a couple of gallons of vinegar and topped off with distilled water. Then, let the vehicle sit for a weekend before firing it up for about 15 minutes and then drain. That would have cleaned up a lot of gunk in that engine.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:27 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yeah, my bypass inlet was corroded too. It happens. Try to sand it smooth again and reseal. You'll be fine!
Nice in theory, but no room to work the manifold real smooth! I got it the best I could, with what I had on hand

Old 12-25-2017, 03:05 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Too bad I didn't see this sooner, or I would have recommended you refilling your vehicle's cooling system with a couple of gallons of vinegar and topped off with distilled water. Then, let the vehicle sit for a weekend before firing it up for about 15 minutes and then drain. That would have cleaned up a lot of gunk in that engine.
Thanks GaryL, I used an over the counter flush, replaced waterpump, all hoses and refilled with a 75% Prestone anti freeze blend,
The issue was the corroded mating surface of the water outlet to intake manifold actually, the flush and refill went without a hitch

Old 12-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Nice in theory, but no room to work the manifold real smooth! I got it the best I could, with what I had on hand
Not theory. I did it during the t-chain install so everything was removed.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

��, good,glad that worked for ya! I didn't feel I could get in at it , so I went about fixing it how I did. So far so good!