2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If it was an aftermarket sensor, (not Mopar....) then it may still be the problem. Our trucks REALLY don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Scottmed1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It runs like **** too, I gotta warm it up for 15 min or it won't even climb the hill outta my driveway

Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Get a real mopar sensor...... Its also possible you have other problems going on as well.....

Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Scottmed1
Rookie

I know, a local mechanic put it on the computer and said that when the truck looses power and won't climb hills the pcm is loosing communication but once the vehicle warms up it runs fine

Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ugh. Something is failing when cold...... Could try hitting the PCM with a blow dryer, warming it up good before trying to drive it. If that works, replace the PCM.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:52 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ugh. Something is failing when cold...... Could try hitting the PCM with a blow dryer, warming it up good before trying to drive it. If that works, replace the PCM.
That's a great idea HeyYou! Way to think outside of the box!!
In colder climates (like western N.Y. state, where I reside) having warm defrost is more than a " creature comfort"! As I WELL KNOW! Freezing rain, and no WARM defrost becomes a safety issue!
Changing the heater core, I understand is a real pain in the ***, but if the truck is decent shape, probably well worth the effort

Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

They make two different styles of heater cores. The oem style and one with swivels on the lines. The one with the swivels are made so you don't have to completely remove the hvac box(and disconnect the ac lines). The down side is they tend to leak at the swivels. You can also cut most of the oem style lines down and just run the hoses in through the fire wall or use a piece of hose to go through it.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
They make two different styles of heater cores. The oem style and one with swivels on the lines. The one with the swivels are made so you don't have to completely remove the hvac box(and disconnect the ac lines). The down side is they tend to leak at the swivels. You can also cut most of the oem style lines down and just run the hoses in through the fire wall or use a piece of hose to go through it.
Everyone says this, but when I replaced the heater core in my '97 with the OE style, I was able to wriggle and jiggle it into place without having to remove the HVAC box. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I have dumb luck? I did buy one with the swivel tubes, and after one look I returned it as I could see it becoming a problem.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:55 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Good to know, Gary. When I get around to mine, I'm putting in the OEM again but I'll do it with the box still in. I've read too many bad stories about the swivel cores too.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Found some writeups where they just use hoses and clamps to attach the new core. That seems like a better place to leak than the swivels.

What brand core is best? Rockauto has only a few no-names and they don't mention swivel tubes. This will have to be a quick job for me so I'm not doing the AC lines. Either hoses attached inside or outside for me. Hmm. Napa sells the swivel but I haven't found any copper cores anywhere like OEM.