2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck keeps dying/misfiring HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Jack Batchelor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck keeps dying/misfiring HELP

I have 1997 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2 when I bought it it had numerous issues most of which ive fixed except this dying issue. Truck runs and idles fine but randomly backfires and shuts off and if you try to restart it it won't start unless you turn the key off and back on and even that doesn't work all the time. I've replaced everything. Engine, fuel pump, every sensor on the engine gone through wiring multiple times no shorts. Along the lines of trouble shooting I noticed the oxygen sensor seemed to effect this problem and eventually I changed the asd relay and it worked great for a few days but eventually started doing it again. I've replaced the relay multiple times now with no luck also tried jumping it. I'm curious if the pcm is bad? Or maybe the pcm grounds aren't hooked up right? If someone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. I have so much time and money into this truck and the fact it won't stop dying is enough to make me want to cry. This is the first time I have had a problem I couldn't figure out.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

It sure sounds like a PCM problem, that's about the only part you haven't replaced yet....

As a test, start it up, let it idle, and point a hair dryer on hot at the pcm, see if it dies after a few minutes.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Truck keeps dying/misfiring HELP