2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 1500 4x4 transmisdion overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Plowersnowpusher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 1500 4x4 transmisdion overheating

First i had some weird shifting from 2nd and 3rd changed the filter and fluid now the transmission turns overdrive off then temp light comes on but it shifts great no problem now

Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Check the trans cooler line running to the bottom fitting on the radiator. The soft line between the radiator, and hard line from the trans, has a check valve in it where the soft line hits the hard line. Those like to clog, and you get exactly the symptoms you are seeing. You can pull the line, drill out the check ball, blow it out good, and reinstall it.

Other possibility is, the temp sensor in the trans is failing....... Have those been changed at all?

Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Plowersnowpusher

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the trans cooler line running to the bottom fitting on the radiator. The soft line between the radiator, and hard line from the trans, has a check valve in it where the soft line hits the hard line. Those like to clog, and you get exactly the symptoms you are seeing. You can pull the line, drill out the check ball, blow it out good, and reinstall it.

Other possibility is, the temp sensor in the trans is failing....... Have those been changed at all?
Ok now since i had asked that question trans went out on me and i replaced it with on from the local junk yard the old trans would move if i would let it idle it would move touch the throttle just slip so now with the new to me trans is still has the overheating warning light now this light comes on with in min of starting it up to warm up the check valve has been eliminated before last trans went out i had already checked that before i wrote first statement so even tho the temp light is on trans lines are maybe about 80-90 degrees no where near hot eathet is the pan or trans casing just dont beleive it is hot at all but before temp light comes on overdrive has been shut off because of computer has turned it off cant turn back on by the switch than overheat light comes on on dash i dont want to waiste time on another trans and swapping it this is my plow truck so need to get it resolved quickly

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Plowersnowpusher

Originally Posted by Plowersnowpusher
Ok now since i had asked that question trans went out on me and i replaced it with on from the local junk yard the old trans would move if i would let it idle it would move touch the throttle just slip so now with the new to me trans is still has the overheating warning light now this light comes on with in min of starting it up to warm up the check valve has been eliminated before last trans went out i had already checked that before i wrote first statement so even tho the temp light is on trans lines are maybe about 80-90 degrees no where near hot eathet is the pan or trans casing just dont beleive it is hot at all but before temp light comes on overdrive has been shut off because of computer has turned it off cant turn back on by the switch than overheat light comes on on dash i dont want to waiste time on another trans and swapping it this is my plow truck so need to get it resolved quickly
pls if possible get me goin the right direction on this if possible but i have had no shifting problems with the new one installed just dont have over drive

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

What year was the donor trans?

If the lite is coming on within minutes of starting, you have an electrical problem. Sitting at idle, in park, (or even neutral) the trans should NEVER overheat. (especially in winter......)

Need a scanner than can read the trans temp data. What is the temp when you first turn the ignition on, when everything should be stone cold, and how quickly does the temp rise.

It might be a short in the wiring somewhere, or, it might be a failing PCM.

Quick Reply: 99 1500 4x4 transmisdion overheating