2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 AM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brian102
if you made it past the first sentence you would find we agree... sound deadening is a waste of money and cars make so much noise you couldn't tell anyway. audiophile stereo in a car is a huge waste of money. that said, i have never had so much rattling in any other vehicle it might actually help for once to use it. it's not the metal from what i can tell, but rather the plastic that is my problem. everything is secure and tight, so sound deadening mat is the only thing i can think of at this point that may help [applied to the plastic]. the foam tape is a good idea though.

also, i'm not a kid listening to rap on deck power with the bass cranked as high as it can go with walmart 6.5's... i enjoy a variety of music pre 2k [post 2k is autotune vomit], running jl c2's, mb quart 440.4, and kenwwod excellon kdc-x798 which i consider a decent entry level deck. not the best system, but i don't have much to worry about if i leave the doors unlocked at the mall and if i can get the rattles sorted out will play satisfactorily on a leisurely outing.
I did, but perhaps I was misunderstood and will attempt to be more clear. Your truck may indeed have rattle problems from plastic or otherwise, but it isn't necessarily true for all trucks or even the norm, mine is in fair condition and doesn't rattle like you describe, and neither have any of my younger sisters trucks she's been through, and she's the kind of folk who blasts music with ginormous subs..uck. If the interior of a truck is so poor that there are many rattle issues, I'd question why someone would invest a stereo where top quality mattered that much into it. Like I can understand wanting pretty good quality and eliminating what you could, but if you're going to be so picky, it'd better be a pretty nice truck and system.

I was confused why youd recommend something you personally don't like and know is meh at best, and possibly not applicable to OP. Finding sources of vibration is always the best bet, and you may find something broken or lose, which having tightened would be good.

Anyhow, I don't mean to offend and if I did, I apologize for my miscommunication. If you could figure out what plastic is causing the rattle perhaps I could assist. I know my overhead console was rattling from the drop down things, so I just put thin foam tape in to make it snug at contact points when it's closed, was a humongous change.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on my experience with these trucks and what i have read of others experience, it seemed logical that these trucks suffer from loose deteriorated plastic and poor sound insulation. you have not had these issues so it does not make sense to combat a non existent problem for you. i simply selected components that were of quality construction in hope they will last for a long time to come. some people buy quality rigs, some people build them. i'm building, because i enjoy it and i will know the condition and quality of everything in it. resale value is not a concern i have.

i recommended the mat because again of my experience and experiences others have had. normally i cringe when i hear someone dumped $2k in premium mat and the world of difference it made in sound quality. the same person would also have a slammed honda, obnoxious fart can exhaust and cant hear a normal conversation from 3 ft away. this is actually the first time i have encountered severe rattling audible at high volume not cause by system distortion or improper securement. usually when i have heard rattling, it was lightweight cars with thin sheetmetal and could be heard clearly outside of the vehicle, but interior sound was fine. mat would help if you were concerned with the impression the external rattling gave. personally i am only concerned with internal sound.

TL;DR and (if you enjoy ruining the sound of music by oversaturating bass) came across somewhat condescending, though i agree and understand forums are filled with teenagers with limited attention spans. not really your fault, my wife is sick and my nerves are a bit raw.

i guess, bottom line, if it ain't broke don't fix it. don't buy dynamat because magazines or someone on the internet tell you too, but rather understand it is a tool available for use if needed. same with foam tape, capacitors, etc...

better?

Last edited by brian102; 12-17-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Well I was more addressing the OP of the post, not you, seeing as how he's the one asking for advice/help, my bad

I'm sorry to hear your run with dodges have been poor for audio troubles. In the 5-6 my siblings and I have owned, some in terrible interior condition, none had rattle issues.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maximillio
Well I was more addressing the OP of the post, not you, seeing as how he's the one asking for advice/help, my bad

I'm sorry to hear your run with dodges have been poor for audio troubles. In the 5-6 my siblings and I have owned, some in terrible interior condition, none had rattle issues.
bleh...

Last edited by brian102; 12-17-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: ending it.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by brian102
bleh...
Indeed, It was resolved awhile ago and you continued on so I felt the need. But yes, we shall end it here.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I think I turned my radio on once, when I test drove the truck before I bought it. Might have had it on for the ride home, but, after that.... Nope. Haven't turned it on since.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think I turned my radio on once, when I test drove the truck before I bought it. Might have had it on for the ride home, but, after that.... Nope. Haven't turned it on since.
If its a factory radio, I don't blame ya I did the same until I re-did mine

Plus the engines in these can sound pretty nice ;P

Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure it's possible to make the V-10 sound nice...... it'll never have that nice V-8 rumble.... I think the best I heard on youtube, sounded like a pair of angry five-cylinders.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Maximillio
Professional

I always forget you have the V-10 haha, they're not THAT bad, like a cross between a motorcycle and a diesel maybe?

Old 12-17-2017, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Imagine a Hummer H3, with a glasspack.... then park another one next to it. Sounds awful.

Quick Reply: Audio Help