2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sudden eng. shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:28 AM
icanman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden eng. shuts off

driving along engine shuts off. I turn off ignition and when I turn on, no power to gauges. Turn on and off until gauges come on then starts right up. Sometimes happens right away today waited 1/2 hr. it's getting worse

Old 12-12-2017, 05:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by icanman
driving along engine shuts off. I turn off ignition and when I turn on, no power to gauges. Turn on and off until gauges come on then starts right up. Sometimes happens right away today waited 1/2 hr. it's getting worse
Any codes? So far this could be a number of things. Bad grounds, bad battery, poor battery connection, broken wire. Going to need a little more info. What year truck, what model, and what engine?

Old 12-12-2017, 05:27 PM
icanman

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Any codes? So far this could be a number of things. Bad grounds, bad battery, poor battery connection, broken wire. Going to need a little more info. What year truck, what model, and what engine?
Thank you for your reply much appreciated. 2000 Ram Van 1500 5.9L, battery and connections good. Recent codes P0500 circuit malfunction, R & R tran. sensor 1 mo. ago and speedometer, odometer still no op. P0505 circuit malfunction,R & R IAC 4 mos. ago. P0753 circuit malfunction, R & R relay 4 mos. ago. The trans has been in limp mode, no 3rd or overdrive, goes 1st to 2nd no 2nd to 1st? Fuses good, no chaffed wires so far, I've had 3-4 diagnostics past 6 mos. all of them said "circuit malfunction". I've changed solenoids, govenor, relays, IAC, plug wires, plugs, distr. cap & rotor, fuel pump. I'm able to do most of the work after getting familiar with procedure via youtube as I'm on SSI and VA disability and cannot afford a pro mechanic. I was a helicopter mechanic in the Army only to say I'm mechanical? When it shuts off it will not start until the gauges activate while turning key on off anywhere from 1 min. to 1/2 hr. Holding out replacing PCM. Runs good, strong motor, idles ok, a little high but ok. Any suggestions appreciated. Steve

Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by icanman
Thank you for your reply much appreciated. 2000 Ram Van 1500 5.9L, battery and connections good. Recent codes P0500 circuit malfunction, R & R tran. sensor 1 mo. ago and speedometer, odometer still no op. P0505 circuit malfunction,R & R IAC 4 mos. ago. P0753 circuit malfunction, R & R relay 4 mos. ago. The trans has been in limp mode, no 3rd or overdrive, goes 1st to 2nd no 2nd to 1st? Fuses good, no chaffed wires so far, I've had 3-4 diagnostics past 6 mos. all of them said "circuit malfunction". I've changed solenoids, govenor, relays, IAC, plug wires, plugs, distr. cap & rotor, fuel pump. I'm able to do most of the work after getting familiar with procedure via youtube as I'm on SSI and VA disability and cannot afford a pro mechanic. I was a helicopter mechanic in the Army only to say I'm mechanical? When it shuts off it will not start until the gauges activate while turning key on off anywhere from 1 min. to 1/2 hr. Holding out replacing PCM. Runs good, strong motor, idles ok, a little high but ok. Any suggestions appreciated. Steve
Thanks for your service! I'm a jarrhead myself! You know what they say about the army Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet :b. I'll do some digging in the FSM but honestly sounds like a loose ground (frame ground) or a bad wire. Do you have the tilt steering column? If so check the wires going to that, they are known to break. Or another test is when the gauges won't activate move the column up and down. The wire going to the ignition is in there, which is chaffed would make the gauges think the truck is off. There are also two grounds for the cluster on the metal bar behind the knee bolster that is for the cluster. HeyYou knows more about codes then I do. Please post if you did what I asked. I'll try to help you too the best of my ability. Just out of curiosity which state so you live in?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd replace the PCM with a good used unit. I found a used PCM for my truck on eBay.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:27 PM
icanman

Must say, I've been around never heard that one about Army, that's a good one.I'm going to go look at those spots you recommended, thanks
looked at wires and connections on PCM, & trans. harness they look good.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I'd replace the PCM with a good used unit. I found a used PCM for my truck on eBay.
Then you definitely have a bad wire or ground somewhere.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 AM
icanman

I'm looking at wires and connections around trans., under hood and dash no luck so far?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Then you definitely have a bad wire or ground somewhere.
No, I didn't have a bad wire or ground issue. I replaced my PCM and the truck started and ran just fine. PCMs can and sometimes do go bad. It's good to have a spare to rule it out as an issue.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
No, I didn't have a bad wire or ground issue. I replaced my PCM and the truck started and ran just fine. PCMs can and sometimes do go bad. It's good to have a spare to rule it out as an issue.
I thought you said you replace it with a known working unit. That was my mistake. Glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: sudden eng. shuts off