2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 V10 random stalls with no codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM
snakeeyesracing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 V10 random stalls with no codes

Here are the facts. Time to time the truck will randomly stall at a stop or low speeds. Four times I know of. It will restart but it is a hard restart as if flooded. My Hubby had to drive it "two footed" to get it on the freeway the first time it did this. At speed it was fine. Getting out of the parking lot and in the turn lane it would stall when he went for the gas. Two times when I was in the truck. Once right after a trip on restart and once at the drive-thru pulling away. Always when he is starting to push the gas and it is in gear. Never when I'm driving it so I can't say what it is doing any better then that.

All stock, just turned 215,000 miles

Things I have done:
  • Used key to check for codes. 12, 17, 55. No codes that should affect this problem. No CEL on.
  • Looked good and hard under the hood at all the wires. Regardless of what they do, vacuum lines, alt. and battery volt tested. Nothing.
  • Unplugged AC clutch. It has a broken finger and the problem seemed to get worse when the defroster was on. No change.
Things I read here that I should look in to:
  • Fuel pressure. Trouble being I don't want to drive around with the tester hooked up.
  • Plug wires. They all look good. No evedance of sparking between them and no miss fires I can tell.
  • Plugs. All ten are there but thats all I know about them.
  • Cam pick-up. I hope not you can't find them any more. Plus, wouldn't that set a code?
  • Low oil pressure shutting off ign. Is that a thing in these trucks? It runs low most of the time now.
  • Intake gaskets.
  • IAC
  • TPS
Any clues would be helpful. I don't have the cash to pour in to this thing trying to find the right part by throwing parts at it till I find the right one.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same symptoms, a crankshaft position sensor went bad, and no code. Checking spark plug wires might better be done at night when checking for arcing, an ohm meter is a great way to check them also. Checking fuel pressure can be done while sitting still. As I recall, you are looking for 55-60 psi, steady pressure and no bleed off after engine shut down. For low oil pressure, you might just need a sensor. test with a mechanical gauge to make sure. I would suggest changing spark plugs at around 30k with the V10, I changed a set at 40k and was surprised it still ran due to excessive wear.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

V-10's also have an issue with the oil pressure relief valve spring breaking. That would also contribute to low pressure.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 PM
snakeeyesracing
Default Oh no, not again!

1/24/2018

Truck problems:

In order of event occurring.

Past few weeks, cold start idle drop after two mins run time for about 4 sec then back to normal

Today:

Idle will drop below 500 rpm on stops after low throttle/off idle run then slowly climb back up to normal. I.E. Moving around in a parking lot in a parking lot. Truck was at temp, not a cold start.

Hard start/Start & die. Starts fine in “clear flood” mode. After engine temp is normal only.

Good amount of fuel in the oil now.

Other then that, it seems fine. No stilling during normal driving this time.

This time I was driving it the whole day. I will be reading around and doing homework as well. Plugs and wires are on my list for this as well as an oil change. But should I look in to an IAC or injectors? No cleaner have been used in the time I have had it so that should not be a problem. Given there is fuel in the oil I don’t think it is a problem with the pump or tank. Just thought I would keep you guys updated.

Last edited by snakeeyesracing; 01-24-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM
snakeeyesracing

Or, I could just make sure all the vac lines going to the fuel reg are in good shape. Hopefully it's just that.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

No vacuum lines to regulator that I am aware of. (regulator is back on the fuel pump module, in the tank)

Might try cleaning the throttle body, and resetting the PCM, let it re-learn the various sensors, and see if anything changes.

Quick Reply: '96 V10 random stalls with no codes