2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A new distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Dodge dude426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new distributor?

Are there really no distributor options available for our trucks? Ok let me back up, I have an '01 ram with the 5.2L 2WD and 142K miles. I went to do an ignition upgrade on my truck so I got some Taylor 9mm wires and some E3 plugs and wile I was at it I got 2 new O2 sensors. The only distributor I found is a full on race version from Jegs (part# 310-77901) and this thing is 360 degrees of awesomeness tons of pickups, programmable and supports any power adder turbos, blowers, No2 or what have you but with that said it's also $461. Now don't get me wrong there's really nothing wrong with the distributor that's in my truck now so I don't need to replace but I guess I just want to. My truck runs like its new but i can't help to think the engine would run at least a little better with a new one. I've called MSDs hotline and the guy I talked to said they don't make a distributor for my application, Mallarey said the same thing. Nobody seems to have a pro bullit distributor for a 2nd gen ram. (dam it)
​​ I can plug my scan tool in and watch the timing curve and it swings all the way from 8 degrees adv to 21 degrees adv witch tells me that the brass barings are worn out so I think thats what is throwing my timing off but you would never know this by watching the tack. The only other option that I can find is an OE replacement that all the big corporate part store have O'rielly, pep boys, napa or whoever rockauto, parts geek and autoanything.com are samething. Am I over looking somthing or are thoes our only options?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

When I swapped motors in my truck a while back, I replaced the distributor in my truck with a reman'd unit, as I noticed the kind of wear in the distributor that you described. Also made sure I had a distributor cap with brass contacts along with a good set of 8MM spark plug wires and that was good enough for me. I also changed out the timing chain to a double roller timing set and installed a timing chain tensioner. My timing has been rock solid ever since.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I can plug my scan tool in and watch the timing curve and it swings all the way from 8 degrees adv to 21 degrees adv witch tells me that the brass barings are worn out so I think thats what is throwing my timing off but you would never know this by watching the tack.
The pcm adjust timing not the distributor so it will change. I think you are confusing timing and fuel sync.

I suppose you could mod one(aftermarket) from a LA motor to work. Don't need vac or centrifugal advance just something that tells the pcm what the cam sensor is doing and give spark the the plugs.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

I don't think you are overlooking anything. However, if it aint broke don't fix it. I also have an '01 with 165K with pretty much original everything (starter, alternator, distributor, O2 sensors, even the brake fluid never been flushed). I just do cap, rotor, and wires. I have also done the timing chain and hughes plenum kit. Only do like 3-4K miles a year now but it runs great. If something were wrong, to a certain extent you would notice it in the RPMs.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Dodge dude426

Thanks moparite, I forgot about the pcm adjusting timing I just assumed the shaft was wobbling inside the body of my distributor throwing the off the timmig. But I suppose it could be a little of both. Are you saying I can get any distributor with the right plug would work? If so thats really kinda my dilemma here because like I said the only two distributors i found that would work in our trucks or that have the plug anyway are the two I mentioned. Do u know of another?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Summit sells two different replacement distributors, for under 100 bucks...... One of 'em is a cardone remanufactured unit, so, should be available at your local parts store as well. (and it's like 55 bucks.....)

Quick Reply: A new distributor?