2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Chain replacment

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 306 Likes on 289 Posts

I use my impact wrench and a 1-5/16" socket to remove the large nut, then and a heavy duty pitman arm puller along with the impact wrench and the arm typically comes right off. As you mentioned, liberal amounts of PB Blaster sprayed above the arm will help, too.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow, you've done a lot of hard work. Congratulations! I was very lucky my pitman came off in a parking lot using hand tools! It was all I had reaffin' on it but it broke loose. Sorry you've had trouble but a torch will always win for sure!

After my t-chain I had a coolant leak for over a year til I found it at the heater pipe into the water pump. It hadn't sealed properly. Could also be at the thermostat housing if that wasn't tightened properly. Hopefully it isn't the timing cover!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 PM
fun4vern
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atomic, I was using my impact wrench on it and stripped the threads. I'll just get a grade 8 bolt and nuts and be back in business.
Ramman, I think it is from the housing. Also today I notice my operating temp is no where near normal, way to low, I mean she runs like a r____d Ape but.... Gonna do some investigating but all the hard work got done and over with. Never have had a pitman arm come off easy. Guess it is my evil nemisis. lol

Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 306 Likes on 289 Posts

Wow! - never seen one strip the threads before, but since its not a grade 8 bolt, kinda makes sense. I broke an ear off one side of a pitman arm puller a while back with the impact, so now I tend to tighten it more gradually until the arm gives up and comes off.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain replacment