2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 v8 5.9L stalling when stopping or slowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 PM
brooktrout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 v8 5.9L stalling when stopping or slowing

Hello everyone, looking for some pointers on where to turn, I have a 1994 Ram 2500, V8 5.9L (gas), recently (in the past two months or so) its been deciding it likes to stall when I slow down to come to a stop at a stop sign, street light, etc., or slow down to take a sharper turn. It has also done this when I've been pulling out of the driveway in reverse, and when I put it into drive it has stalled. When I hit the breaks and slow down, the rpms drop (obviously), but the closer I come to a complete stop the further the rpms drop rather than returning to normal idle speed. Normally when it does this the rpms will drop down around 400 rpm just before I reach a complete stop, at which point they will drop just a little more and either stall the truck, or it just barely revives its self just in time and the rpms come back up to normal or just below. Now, it does not do this while sitting in park or in neutral, and each time it stalls it turns over and starts right up with no problem. Not sure what I'm looking at here, just hope she's not giving up on me; only has 94,051 original miles on it and has zero rust, did have to replace the shocks because after 24 years of weight on the front end they were toast. Other than that its never had anything done to it and hasn't given me any problems. Hoping I can keep it running for a while, there's no sense in getting rid of it, just been such a good vehicle until now!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Think the first thing I would do is, yank the throttle body, and give it a thorough cleaning. Pay special attention to the IAC well. While it's off, take a look at the back of the intake.... (inside) see if there is oil pooling.

When is the last time you did a tune-up?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 AM
brooktrout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body/IAC

I thought it might have something to donwith the IAC, picked up a new one, gota get back in there anyway to put the new IAC on so ill check the throttle body while I'm at it too. Been a while since I've had a tune up so it might be time for that too.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

While you have the throttle body off, check down the intake n take a gander at the floor of the keggar. If you got puddles/pools of oil, then you got a blown plenum gasket...replace it, AND the bolts that hold it on especially. If you just have a "coating" of oil that's normal blowoff from the PCV valve and will be centralized around the PCV port. If the IAC does nothing to cure your problem, then pull out the intake temp sensor n clean it (it's easy to do/front passenger side on #2 intake runner) with the same throttle body cleaner n reinstall it or just replace it. If the temp sensor sends the rong signal to the ECM cause it's covered in oil, the engine knows not where it's at/ fuel trims are the tell all.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Use a genuine mopar IAC, the aftermarket fellers just don't work as good.

Quick Reply: 1994 v8 5.9L stalling when stopping or slowing