2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 was running and just quit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to see what fuel pressure looks like when it won't start.
I need to dig around in my tool boxes and find my testing tools.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM
RAM 1500 98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnboy52
And the story goes on Well I got up this morning and decided to give my truck a try. I grabbed my remote starter and hit the button. It started right up and ran fine. I got out there and made a couple trips back and forth in the driveway with the plow and as I started back down the driveway it started running rough and wouldn't respond to the throttle so I coasted to the end of the driveway and it was back to where it was yesterday. It spins over fine but will not start. Is the fuel pump something that goes all at once or can it work then quit and then work again? I lean to a fuel problem more so than an ignition problem because if I give it a shot of starting fluid it will fire right up for a couple seconds.
Ok so I had a similar problem,, does it idle funny as well,, like rough. Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't, if it's rolling over spark good and has allot of fuel dumping in after you check the injectors and compression.. have you ever changed the catalytic converter? If not and you don't know what's wrong about to give up take out that O2 sensor infront of the converter and try to fire it up if so there's your problem..

Old 01-20-2018, 07:01 PM
JWat
Rookie

I have had a cam shaft sensor on one truck and a crank sensor on another do the same thing. Ran great for a while then nothing. Is the check engine light on? As stated above I have also seen the CAT do it. Usually the fuel pump on these trucks go with no warning.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by RAM 1500 98
Ok so I had a similar problem,, does it idle funny as well,, like rough. Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't, if it's rolling over spark good and has allot of fuel dumping in after you check the injectors and compression.. have you ever changed the catalytic converter? If not and you don't know what's wrong about to give up take out that O2 sensor in front of the converter and try to fire it up if so there's your problem..
Thanks for the info Ram. So far when it does decide to run it runs smooth. As for starting, what it does is I can start it after it has run and then sat for at least 24 hours. It will run for a couple minutes and then acts like the fuel is being cut off. I can turn the key and hear the fuel pump whine for a couple seconds and then that stops as it is supposed to do. If I try to start it after the short run time it has it just spins over and doesn't sound like it is trying to fire. I never changed the cat. I still need to check the fuel pressure but I need to get to the parts store to find a couple fittings to adapt a gauge for checking the pressure.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Mystery solved! I would say that when anyone has the same issue they might want to start at the Crank Sensor. I was talking with my neighbor who has 2 dodge pickup and has this happen with both trucks. I changed the crank sensor and it fired right up and runs fine now. Thanks for all the help and advice that everyone offered. I hope to be able to help out here on the forum with heating and air conditioning problems. I worked in a radiator/air conditioning shop for 25 years.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnboy52
Mystery solved! I would say that when anyone has the same issue they might want to start at the Crank Sensor. I was talking with my neighbor who has 2 dodge pickup and has this happen with both trucks. I changed the crank sensor and it fired right up and runs fine now. Thanks for all the help and advice that everyone offered. I hope to be able to help out here on the forum with heating and air conditioning problems. I worked in a radiator/air conditioning shop for 25 years.
Oh boy then you'll love me when I redo my air conditioning lol

Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Oh boy then you'll love me when I redo my air conditioning lol
I will be glad to help with what ever I can

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 was running and just quit