01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question

Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Jlynton's Avatar
Jlynton
Jlynton is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Default 01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question

Hey all, got a question that I canít seem to find on the previous threads. Iíll ask you to bear with me when explaining this. Iíve been out of the do it yourself/modding game for about 13 yrs now, but here it goes:
I bout an 01 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.9 about five yrs ago now. Last summer I let someone borrow my truck and both leaf springs managed to separate at the rear eyelet and punch through the bed. So after a trip to the junk yard, I got them fixed up proper. Iíve been doing parts replacement for the suspension but had to stop bc of Winter, moving, blah, blah, blah. I wasnít able to get to the tie rod and associated stuff with it yet due to the tranny grenading on itself when I was driving home one day and dropping $3k to rebuild it. The truck had a lift on it when I bought it, but it doesnít have any ďoff roadĒ badging or anything. I also decoded the VIN and it doesnít mention having the off road package but a ďheavy duty service package.Ē So the lift couldíve been put on by a previous owner. Before I start dropping the dime to get all the tie rods, and so on, I was wondering whatís a good brand to go with? Iíve been hearing Moog doesnít last about a year and Iíve never heard of the other companies. Iím unsure of the current lift, but Iím planning on doing a 4Ē lift as early as this summer so Iím all for spending a little extra to get aftermarket instead of OEM. Thanks in advance!
 

Last edited by Jlynton; 01-18-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Forgot drive and engine
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,881
Default

Originally Posted by Jlynton View Post
Hey all, got a question that I canít seem to find on the previous threads. Iíll ask you to bear with me when explaining this. Iíve been out of the do it yourself/modding game for about 13 yrs now, but here it goes:
I bout an 01 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.9 about five yrs ago now. Last summer I let someone borrow my truck and both leaf springs managed to separate at the rear eyelet and punch through the bed. So after a trip to the junk yard, I got them fixed up proper. Iíve been doing parts replacement for the suspension but had to stop bc of Winter, moving, blah, blah, blah. I wasnít able to get to the tie rod and associated stuff with it yet due to the tranny grenading on itself when I was driving home one day and dropping $3k to rebuild it. The truck had a lift on it when I bought it, but it doesnít have any ďoff roadĒ badging or anything. I also decoded the VIN and it doesnít mention having the off road package but a ďheavy duty service package.Ē So the lift couldíve been put on by a previous owner. Before I start dropping the dime to get all the tie rods, and so on, I was wondering whatís a good brand to go with? Iíve been hearing Moog doesnít last about a year and Iíve never heard of the other companies. Iím unsure of the current lift, but Iím planning on doing a 4Ē lift as early as this summer so Iím all for spending a little extra to get aftermarket instead of OEM. Thanks in advance!
WHAT?!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD.....!??!?!

I hope you have learned to never loan your truck out!

Not really following your questions but if you're looking for new front TREs, Moog is fine, as is AC DELCO, but Spicer is OEM. Even though they aren't perfect, I do recommend the T steering mod (you can search and read for weeks) but only get ACDelco for that. I also suggest some pics of your lift so we can help determine what lift you want and or need. Welcome to the forum.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Jlynton's Avatar
Jlynton
Jlynton is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
WHAT?!?!?! HOW IN THE WORLD.....!??!?!

I hope you have learned to never loan your truck out!

Not really following your questions but if you're looking for new front TREs, Moog is fine, as is AC DELCO, but Spicer is OEM. Even though they aren't perfect, I do recommend the T steering mod (you can search and read for weeks) but only get ACDelco for that. I also suggest some pics of your lift so we can help determine what lift you want and or need. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for the confusion in my post. Been a long day and I guess I shouldnít be multi-tasking. Just glad I didnít type what I was yelling when I was getting my kids in bed while typing. To clarify, IímWaging to replace the tie rods, sleeves, sway bar links, etc bc Iím pretty sure those parts on my truck currently are original to the truck. I donít want to buy OEM replacement parts, then do a slightly higher lift and have to replace the parts I just replaced due to the ride height being different. Plus Iím getting some tire rub with turning toward the max of the whee travel. Again, sorry for the confusing post. Put too much info in thinking it was pertinent. Iíll get pictures of the lift on here soon. Due to stupid winter, itís dark when I go to work and when I get off.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 AM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,881
Default

Lifting a truck has no bearing on the tie rods. It will however affect the track bar and control arms which in turn will make the front axle move rearward and off center. This all depends upon how high you go. Stock trucks can get away with about 2" before needing longer parts. Again, TREs are universal. Just get new ones and align it then start lift shopping.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,065
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
Lifting a truck has no bearing on the tie rods. It will however affect the track bar and control arms which in turn will make the front axle move rearward and off center. This all depends upon how high you go. Stock trucks can get away with about 2" before needing longer parts. Again, TREs are universal. Just get new ones and align it then start lift shopping.
I will agree here. I bought TRE from rockauto all of them for like $30. They lasted about 2 years. I believe they didn't last longer because no zerk fitting
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 1500 Sport Tie Rod and Etc Question


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: