2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration problem(my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the rear shaft, all is good, rotated 180 when I reinstalled just to check. Checked rear brakes while I was at it, slight seepage from one cylinder, added to list of things to do. Way out of adjustment, got that corrected, definite pedal feel improvement. Rear springs have 3 leafs, a helper and 3.25" block. What would you recommend to give me less sag when towing and raise the rear about 1"?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:30 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Well, had some daylight left, so went through the front end. Easy list.....everything, and the RF wheel bearing also has play now. Time to start shopping. Surprisingly the ball joints didn't have play, but I have been around long enough to know that, if I'm doing the rest, they are getting done also. At least I will get a chance to check the universal joint on that side....
I may need to do the motor swap in the ZJ so I have a parts runner.......🤣

Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by V65Ozzie
Pulled the rear shaft, all is good, rotated 180 when I reinstalled just to check. Checked rear brakes while I was at it, slight seepage from one cylinder, added to list of things to do. Way out of adjustment, got that corrected, definite pedal feel improvement. Rear springs have 3 leafs, a helper and 3.25" block. What would you recommend to give me less sag when towing and raise the rear about 1"?
Add a leaf

Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Went ahead and pulled the RF bearing, it was so bad the flange hub fell out.....and the axle joint is binding also, will replace bearing and both axle joints tommorow night. I guess I should have replaced them both when I did the lf a couple of months ago, but, I did it on the side of the road, a lot easier at my house with an actual floor jack, stands and air tools....... I really need to find a cheap used short bed utility body and just keep all my tools in the truck.......gotta get this sorted fast, my dad wants me in SC in a couple of weeks to launch his new floating dock, the Dodge will be hauling the dock to a local launch ramp, and we will tow it with the boat across the lake to its new home. First I have to get it jacked up off the ground high enough to slide a 16 foot trailer underneath.....but, he has a backhoe.... And I have to find my pirate costume.....

Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,285 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Went ahead and pulled the RF bearing, it was so bad the flange hub fell out.....and the axle joint is binding also, will replace bearing and both axle joints tommorow night. I guess I should have replaced them both when I did the lf a couple of months ago, but, I did it on the side of the road, a lot easier at my house with an actual floor jack, stands and air tools....... I really need to find a cheap used short bed utility body and just keep all my tools in the truck.......gotta get this sorted fast, my dad wants me in SC in a couple of weeks to launch his new floating dock, the Dodge will be hauling the dock to a local launch ramp, and we will tow it with the boat across the lake to its new home. First I have to get it jacked up off the ground high enough to slide a 16 foot trailer underneath.....but, he has a backhoe.... And I have to find my pirate costume.....
Pictures and video please.

That bad bearing and binding joint will likely solve your vibration issues as well.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pictures and video please.

That bad bearing and binding joint will likely solve your vibration issues as well.
Well, new bearing and u-joints are in, vibration not solved, but, it is improved. Time to start shopping the front end parts. Did noticed a lot of play in the bottom of the steering column, there is an aftermarket fix for that, added to my list. Geez, fix one thing, cross it off my list, add two more items..... Beginning to understand that crazed look I see on Dodge owners faces......😠

Old 01-26-2018, 08:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well, new bearing and u-joints are in, vibration not solved, but, it is improved. Time to start shopping the front end parts. Did noticed a lot of play in the bottom of the steering column, there is an aftermarket fix for that, added to my list. Geez, fix one thing, cross it off my list, add two more items..... Beginning to understand that crazed look I see on Dodge owners faces......😠
Hey I've been chasing a vibration for 2 years. Come out the other day and only 1 headlight. Welcome to the Dodge community where you either are a mechanic or you'll become one

Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Hey I've been chasing a vibration for 2 years. Come out the other day and only 1 headlight. Welcome to the Dodge community where you either are a mechanic or you'll become one
Heh..my new headlights arrived today, just waiting on my 100/80 bulbs. It will be nice to actually see where I am going. Right now I think I would do better with a couple of candles on the bumper. Yes, I run Hella off-road bulbs. Not a fan of aftermarket HID's or LED units, although the quality is getting better. Everyone worries about the heat and the plastic housings. I ran H4 conversions in my 84 Chevy with 140W high beams and 100W lows, still in it after 3 years of abuse, the new owner loved them. My ZJ has the 100W units, trouble free. My ST1300 runs the 100W units also. Heat has never been a problem for me with them. I'm always surprised by people who install all these fancy bulbs in headlights that are totally fogged out or the reflector has corroded away. My only complaint about the Hellas is that they now have that blue tint. gimme the old fashioned clear bulbs anytime. I will add a light bar in the future, but it will only be used off road. I have a rear view camera/GPS unit stashed away, I don't need the GPS(although it does come in handy if you are out in the woods with no cell signal and get a bit lost) I am looking at some additional rear lights, because the stock reverse lights suck and visibility back there when backing up isn't that good, hence the camera. Hopefully when I fix the dash I can integrate it. Adding rear power ports(extended cab) so I can keep my LED work lights charged. Got a long list of things to do, but I will get the front end right first. YMMV

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 01-26-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:00 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Well, my new bulbs didn't arrive, but the new light assemblies had new stock bulbs, so I installed them. What a difference! I can see things. Once I get the over amp bulbs in there and actually aim them right I will be a happy camper. While messing around with them I had a thought, which I occasionally do, so I rotated my tires. Another improvement to the vibration! Now I can feel the loose front end and the slop in the column.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Heh..my new headlights arrived today, just waiting on my 100/80 bulbs. It will be nice to actually see where I am going. Right now I think I would do better with a couple of candles on the bumper. Yes, I run Hella off-road bulbs. Not a fan of aftermarket HID's or LED units, although the quality is getting better. Everyone worries about the heat and the plastic housings. I ran H4 conversions in my 84 Chevy with 140W high beams and 100W lows, still in it after 3 years of abuse, the new owner loved them. My ZJ has the 100W units, trouble free. My ST1300 runs the 100W units also. Heat has never been a problem for me with them. I'm always surprised by people who install all these fancy bulbs in headlights that are totally fogged out or the reflector has corroded away. My only complaint about the Hellas is that they now have that blue tint. gimme the old fashioned clear bulbs anytime. I will add a light bar in the future, but it will only be used off road. I have a rear view camera/GPS unit stashed away, I don't need the GPS(although it does come in handy if you are out in the woods with no cell signal and get a bit lost) I am looking at some additional rear lights, because the stock reverse lights suck and visibility back there when backing up isn't that good, hence the camera. Hopefully when I fix the dash I can integrate it. Adding rear power ports(extended cab) so I can keep my LED work lights charged. Got a long list of things to do, but I will get the front end right first. YMMV
I installed 5500K HIDS and it is just like daylight. I have power outlets throughout the truck and a media center right behind the center console for rear passengers. I installed aftermarket taillights and a tailgate bar along with 4 flush mount led cubes and now I can see backing up. I installed an 8in Alpine radio with backup camera and sensors. Lastly I installed a bunch of light bars around the vehicle that I use on back roads to see deer and when I'm off road

Quick Reply: Vibration problem(my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard)