'97 1500 5.9 generator light - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

'97 1500 5.9 generator light

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'97 1500 5.9 generator light

Old 02-13-2018, 05:06 AM
Skyler Hardy
Default '97 1500 5.9 generator light

Hello y'all... I'm having some trouble diagnosing some electrical issues with my 97 Dodge Ram 1500 truck and I'm hoping y'all can assist me in figuring this out.

I started my truck up and immediately it didn't sound right, which was my first red flag, but I then noticed about 5 minutes later after driving the "gen" light came on and the gauge inside reads far less than the average 13.8-14,8 volts (roughly 8-10v on the gauge) and all the interior/exterior lights and electronics lose a significant amount of brightness/power.

After hooking up a multimeter with the truck off, the battery reads around 12.3 volts. Once I start it the voltage reads roughly around the same, but turning the lights on and heater full on, voltage drops to around the even side of 11V on multimeter (8-11V on the gauge). Revving or driving at RPMs above 3000 increases the V reading to around normal, but I notice there is a power drop when idle and the light comes back on. Alternator is new about a year old, ECM was replaced roughly the same time as alternator, and the battery is about a year or two older. 156k on odometer.

Any hints or advice on what may be causing the low voltage or gen light to turn on? From what I can gather it's a) alternator, b) battery, c) PCM/ECM, d) a blown fuse, e) some other clusterf*ck. I have a fairly limited knowledge of the electronics of a vehicle, so I'm at a disadvantage, but any help would be incredibly welcome .

Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Moparite
Champion

Check your belt tentioner,They have been known to freeze up and allow the belt to slip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 1500 5.9 generator light

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: