2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 Magnum AC PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:00 PM
SABreivogel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 Magnum AC PROBLEM!

There is enough freon in the system. Compressor turns on for about 3 seconds then turns off. AC lines are not sweating. Still not blowing any cold air. What can be the problem

Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

You are either low on refrigerant, or, there is a blockage in the system. Need to see what pressures are doing.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Mine took a lot more refill than "recommended" on the bottle to get the AC back up and running consistently.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Valkyre

I've done ac work on mine..and that happened when it was low of freon for sure..you said it was full..how did you fill it if the ac compressor wasnt running the whole time..if you'r like me..you just use the guage that hooks to the can and it has 3 colors to show if its full or low..id hook it back up with a full can of freon and see if it'll pull more freon in as its cycling off and on..i think theres a low pressure switch that causes that also..thats probably whats making it cycle off and on now.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not using a set of gauges and doing it right your risking compressor failure.
Over filling can wash the oil from the bearings in the compressor, and yes, you can, over charge the system.
Under filling can starve the compressor of oil.

You may get by for a while using those AC Pro cans, but it will eventually catch up with you.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 Magnum AC PROBLEM!