2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help 911..before i go nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Valkyre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 911..before i go nuts

I consider myself a decent mechanic but diagnosing isn't always easy. My 2001 5.9 L truck has been flawless for 235k miles and I've always taken care of it..its been sitting for a while now and it wouldn't start..just clicks..i bought a new battery since it was 4yrs old..same thing..u can jump it off..it would go dead once disconnecting cables..so i test Alt.put new brushes in it..its fine..took starter off..replaced them copper things inside. .its fine..same thing..jump it off..now itll run by itself. .drive fine..but turn key off and click is all i get..Relays i switched out. .same thing...no blown fuses..I'm gona check ground cable on front next and load test new battery..but I'm 99% sure its gona do the same thing..why does it only crank when i jump it off..makes no sense to me at all..i also hooked into OBD..no eng codes at all...no ck eng light even..but all dash lights work fine.

Last edited by Valkyre; 03-03-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Add one more thing
Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bad connection at the battery or a starter that's drawing high current to turn it over. Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. If that's good, I'd remove the starter and take it in for testing.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Valkyre

I already had the starter tested and had new contacts put in it..i watched him bench test it..I'm gona try 2 more things that I've read about..testing voltage at the starter when keys on..and im gona take ground jumper cable only and connect it to battery and truck ground thinking it'll bypass the ground on battery ..after i take loose the ground by water pump and clean it.. I'm sure its something simple
.well..hoping its something simple like that. .because nothing else is making sense at all.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Load test the battery and charge it before putting it back in the truck.
Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
THIS!!!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Valkyre

Thats what i did..new battery was POS..that was last thing i could think of too...thanks everyone for helping...

Quick Reply: Help 911..before i go nuts