2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help back brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Amanda Whitten Bailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help back brakes!!

I love this truck 1999 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive and have had it over 2 yrs now. I've already replaced the back brakes and wheel cylinder when first got truck. The other day I was leaving my house and pop irk why but both abs and brake light come on. Barely any pressure lucky close to my house and my husband was left to check it out. Well the drivers side rear wheel cylinder was leaking so pulled off drum realized the brake pads were also going and have lifetime warranty on them so went got rear wheel cylinder new back brakes for both sides( better to do together). One spring was damaged when removed so got new spring set for the drum brakes so I could replace as needed. Both sides put on and bleed test drive time ready to get out but less than mile away pop again and no brakes. Get home safely and back up on stands again. Now passanger side rear wheel cylinder is popped out sideways check all springs and installation is correct pin jumped out idk why but clean it up put back in place double check all processes bleed lines and test again. 5 miles not any problems get home nothing wrong I think good job I'm done!! WRONG come back 2 hours later check the wheel see brake fluid jack it up and now drivers is leaking pull off drum and same thing happened with the cylinder front pin sideways and it popped out. But tear through the pin liner so have to replace even decide to go one step further and get new drum 40$ each get both sides and 20$ shocks to boot (love tax season) get another spring kit just to get all new brake (daddy always said mess with the go all u want but don't mess with the stop) even force AutoZone to give me another set brake pads. So to recap both sides got new- pads, drum springs, rear wheel cylinder, drums, shocks, and brake fluid. Please someone explain why the drivers side did the same thing again.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Are you adjusting the rears when they are all back together? That's about the only reason I can think of for them to pop apart like that..... pushing out too far.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you have to manually adjust them after installing them. Unless the adjuster is installed wrong and letting the adjuster screw back off. They shouldn't unscrew that fast though. Some pictures would be really helpful. This would be a good time to install wheel cylinders from a 3500. They are 1/8 inch bigger diameter and make the rear brakes work much better.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Amanda, under the heading of "stranger things" or "if you eliminate the impossible whatever is left, however improbable...", have you had any work done to the master cylinder recently? It sounds like an over pressure situation. The portioning valve biases the fluid volume n pressure to the front brakes...if they're switched or the portioning valve failed?!?! Is the brake or ABS lite on?

Quick Reply: Please help back brakes!!