2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new dodge 2nd gen owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:44 PM
bulb2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new dodge 2nd gen owner

I got a 1997 Dodge 1500 5.9 L.

The man I got it from didn't know much about the truck as it was his fathers truck and he had recently passed away. The only info that he knew was the gearing had been changed.

A little more info on the truck:

1997 5.9 L 1500 4x4
6 inch lift (i am guessing at that number)
Stock size tires
269,680 miles

As far as the gearing in it now goes I have no acceleration and when i put my foot to the floor the RPMs go up but speed does not increase.
i was told that the previous truck owner used to tow a mid size boat to the lake and that he change it to possibly lower gearing to make up for the hills that would go up while taking his boat out to fish.

My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to learn what the new gearing is?
2. How hard would it be to change it back to stock myself?
3. How will if effect MPG?

Those are just to name a few.

I guess in the end i really what to know if it is worth it to change them back to stock and if so how would I find the info on what the stock gearing was?

Thank you

For now I will keep wading through the info I find online and try to decipher it.

Last edited by bulb2005; 03-09-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the VIN number and get the truck build sheet HERE

Last edited by Ramchu; 03-09-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Look at the sticker under the hood.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by bulb2005
I got a 1997 Dodge 1500 5.9 L.

The man I got it from didn't know much about the truck as it was his fathers truck and he had recently passed away. The only info that he knew was the gearing had been changed.

A little more info on the truck:

1997 5.9 L 1500 4x4
6 inch lift (i am guessing at that number)
Stock size tires
269,680 miles

As far as the gearing in it now goes I have no acceleration and when i put my foot to the floor the RPMs go up but speed does not increase.
i was told that the previous truck owner used to tow a mid size boat to the lake and that he change it to possibly lower gearing to make up for the hills that would go up while taking his boat out to fish.

My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to learn what the new gearing is?
2. How hard would it be to change it back to stock myself?
3. How will if effect MPG?

Those are just to name a few.

I guess in the end i really what to know if it is worth it to change them back to stock and if so how would I find the info on what the stock gearing was?

Thank you

For now I will keep wading through the info I find online and try to decipher it.
1. Two options you can take the rear diff cover of count the ring and pinion teeth or you can turn the drive shaft and see how many times it turns to make the wheel turn once.
2. Need a lot of specialty tools you can try it but there is minimal room for error. If you are off by just a few thousands of an inch and you go to drive the truck in less then 3 miles you will have chewed up the gears.
3. Higher the gear number usually equals less MPG

Old 03-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying you floor it and it literally doesn't go any faster while the RPMs go up or do you mean that figuratively? I ask because if you are flooring it and it does exactly as you say then it's possible the transmission is slipping? I mean typically higher gears = faster acceleration unless he is running insanely high gears.

Quick Reply: new dodge 2nd gen owner