2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ex cab, 4x4, 5.9L-Making a new sound when letting off gas

Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ex cab, 4x4, 5.9L-Making a new sound when letting off gas

Hey y'all. Got this new issue goin on. After a lil while from since I put t-case back in, it's going like rrrrrhhhhhh when I let off gas.
While rear and front d shafts were off for that t-case fix, I replaced u-joints on em. But just the one set on the front d-shaft though. The other end of the front shaft was that big u-joint one, the one that bolts onto the t case. I didn't do that one because it was tight and right.
So new u joints at rear of the rear d-shaft, front of rear d shaft, and the front of the front d-shaft. (hmm, lil confusing there)

Anyway, all those repairs went fine. Truck's been doin great!

I replaced diff fluid at rear diff last year and used chrysler's friction mod. I replaced the front's diff fluid when I put the t-case and front shaft back on. Like month ago.(no friction fluid in that one though)
When I replaced the fluid at the rear diff, wasn't any issues w metal shavings or nothin else goin on(that I noticed). Or at front diff.
There's no leaking of any fluids on the ground, anywhere, from anything under the truck.

Made sure I lined up rear d-shaft up perfect before bolting everything up on it, took me a couple times to get it accurate to the marks I made prior to removal, but I got it lined up and in there right.

It's riding fine.
But I do think i've been noticing a tiny "clunk" though, but just here n there at times, like when putting it in drive maybe. Or could've been when taking off from stop? Cant remember exactly how but there has been a tiny clunk. Small one. Couple times. Barely noticeable but there.

I did replace that t-case trans mount while case was off, so that's new.

I dont know. Could be whole rear d shaft now needing something? It's not the trans. I'm like pretty positive about that. And it makes this sound when letting off gas like you're drivin a stick but going reverse! Or an auto but going pretty fast in reverse. Except i'm not. It's when i'm going straight, only after letting off gas. Really hear it good when goin at slower speeds! Theres like no clanking or grinding though. Just that rrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh thing happening after letting off gas.
Thx for anything you all might can tell me to do.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't read where you filled the transfer case with fluid, you didn't happen to forget that did you ?

Old 03-12-2018, 02:04 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Sorry Ramchu. I wrote I had "replaced" it in the rear diff last year, should've described as drain and fill. But yea, I drained then refilled rear diff last year and used Chrysler's friction modifier in it. There weren't any signs of metal or anything in fluid when drained.
Did same to front couple months ago. Again, fluid in front diff was free of any debris or metal as well. Used no friction modifier in front though.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Ramchu
Professional

In my 96 Ram about a year after I got it it had in the neighborhood of 85,000 miles I remember noticing that it would
have a different sound when I let off of the gas.
It turned out to be the rear Differential Pinion Bearing race was pitted and had to be replaced, it was about an 8 hour job.
I had to remove the center carrier cover, slide both axle's out, remove the ring gear and carrier, remove the pinion, replace the
bearing's and reassemble.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Damn! Sucks!

Wonder what happens if you just keep on driving it till it's to the point where it wont really drive right anymore? Like take er all way to the end!?? Of it's life! And how long that might be, like at beginning of it, once it starts doing this sound.
Prob tear somethin else up and have more repairs instead of just this one?

There anything i can do other than that maybe? Like for now? Some temporary, or even better, a kinda permanent Jed Clampit type of smthn or another the thing, somehow??

Last edited by marcpilot1; 03-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Ramchu
Professional

Not saying for sure that the pinion bearing is your problem, just a possibility.
If this would be your problem, then driving it until it tears something up, you
could wind up having to get another ring & pinion gear set or a complete differential,
depending on the amount of damage.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the rear shaft have a carrier bearing on it? I only saw you mention replacing the front and rear joints on the rear shaft. I didn't look up anything about your truck (1500, 2500?) but saw it was an extended cab.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-12-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

I think you need the long bed, with the extended cab, to have a two-piece drive shaft.

The slight clunk when changing from park to reverse, or drive, or between reverse, and drive, is perfectly normal on a 4x4.

A bad pinion bearing will howl when under load, and go quiet when you let off the gas. (I should know, that's exactly what mine does.......)

Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Ramchu
Professional

A bad pinion bearing will howl when under load, and go quiet when you let off the gas. (I should know, that's exactly what mine does.......)
Mine was quiet under a load and letting off of the gas it would make a higher pitch singing sound, kind of a ringing, but mine was a pitted tapered bearing race that
was the problem.

Attached Thumbnails 98 ex cab, 4x4, 5.9L-Making a new sound when letting off gas-bearing-noise.png  

Last edited by Ramchu; 03-13-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 ex cab, 4x4, 5.9L-Making a new sound when letting off gas