2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto Transmission Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005 | 01:36 AM
LagunaS3
Default Auto Transmission Problem...

Ok, my 96 Ram 1500 4x4 has some transmissions issues. It seems simple, though. The truck sometimes won't upshift into 3rd or OD...but if you move the shifter into "2" and then back to "D" it will sometimes shift up and have no problems. After a while, sometimes it will kick back out of OD or 3rd and you have to do it all over again. Also, when you are taking off from a dead stop it kinda feels like it's slipping...but then catches and drives off with no problem. This isn't a constant problem. I'm thinking it might be the TCC solenoids and/or governor, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping someone else out there has had a similar problem and knows if this is a simple fix or tranny overhaul. Also, there are is no check engine light on.

Thanks,
Zach

Old 12-01-2005 | 04:18 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: Auto Transmission Problem...

sounds like a tranny rebuild. trannys are the weak point on the dodge. especially abused automatics.

Old 12-01-2005 | 04:50 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: crazy1snow

sounds like a tranny rebuild. trannys are the weak point on the dodge. especially abused automatics.
I'll second that motion.......

Old 12-01-2005 | 04:56 PM
xsputts

It cost me about $2000 to get pretty much the same problem fixed on my Ram. Mine stated making some wierd noises though just before I had the tranny rebuilt. Hope that is not it but I have to agree with the others.

Old 12-02-2005 | 01:47 AM
LagunaS3

What kind of noises did your truck make? Also, could a fluid change maybe correct this problem?

Zach

Old 12-02-2005 | 03:27 AM
Cally
Rookie

Well changing the fluid and even checking it will give you a good idea if it is the transmission or not. If the fluid is discolored and smells burnt, change it, and give it a week or two, and check it agian, if it smells burnt still, then it will be your transmission. How many miles does it have on it?

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:12 AM
LagunaS3

Oh...only 130k, lol. I'm afraid it is the whole transmission...but I'm HOPING it's just the shift solenoid. I had a local auto parts store scan it and even though there was no check engine light it showed a 3-4 shift error and two other codes that I just can't remember right now. I was looking at a TCI rebuild kit, anyone know how hard it is to install the clutches, etc that will be in this kit?

Zach

Old 12-03-2005 | 02:36 AM
Cally
Rookie

Sometimes the check engine light wont pick a trans problem, if its the third and fourth gears, then yeah you probably will have to get it rebuilt. Well by the sounds of it, its an automatic, so you'll have clutch packs that need to be taken apart, with that you'll have to have a press to remove the snap rings on the packs, Its not that hard, but if you don't have alot of mechanical experience, I wou;dnt touch it if I were you, take it to someone who can repair it for you. You'll just have to watch the order you remove all the components in, even if you miss one clutch band, you'll really mess it up, order in taking stuff out and putting it back in is essential. Though personally I found atuos to be rather easy to work on.

Old 12-03-2005 | 12:43 PM
badram1500
Veteran

Auto trany's arn't a magic bean of sorts but you do have to know what your doing with one for it to work right and last after its rebuilt. A good service mannual is a must for specs and adjustments. As mentioned above there is a spring loaded clutch pack in the od that is under about 800 lbs of pressure. Not something the novice wants to find out about the hard way...

Old 12-04-2005 | 01:29 AM
LagunaS3

I still haven't had a chance to get more serious about finding my problem...I've got a Camaro I'm fighting with at the moment. However, I did find out that my "slipping" is actually the transmission starting in 2nd instead of 1st. If you manually shift the truck as though it was a column shift manual then it drives just fine...I sure wish someone just made a kit/adapter to put a GM 4L80E into the Dodge!!

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Problem...