2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Convert 1995 ram v10 coil pack connector to 1997+

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Stallwart
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The left hand side is for the 1995 and the right hand side is for the 1998.

We did get the coil packs switched over, but the truck wont idle without having your foot at the gas. It also seems to misfire after heating up. The idle issue is likely due to the throttle body spacer and K&N intake that we added. The body shop would like the truck back this week, so we wont get back into it until later. I imagine that we damaged the spark plugs (using a coin gapper on iridium plugs isn't a good idea), but my brother doesn't think that's the issue. I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by Stallwart; 04-02-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Add Diagram
Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

A throttle body spacer does absolutely nothing on a port fuel injected engine. (aside from lighten your wallet)

Did you reset the PCM after doing the work? (disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so....) If you didn't, try it, and when you go for the first startup, turn the ignition to 'on' first, count to 10, (don't touch anything) then start the truck. You may have to feather the gas for a couple minutes until the PCM re-learns what works for idle.

Also, I know a lot of the V-8 trucks really don't care for the rare-earth plugs. They get mystery misfires, and various other odd and strange symptoms. Not many 8.0s around here, so, not nearly as much data on the they feel about them...... if you keep getting the mystery misfires, might try throwing some copper plugs into it, and see if anything changes. Though, I would expect that, given that the coils only need to deal with 2 cylinders, instead of all of them...... the 8.0 would be less susceptible to that..... But, 'theory', and 'actual practice' are sometimes two entirely different things.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Stallwart
Amateur

Left tab needs to be removed from Viper coil packs to work with the Ram connector
Yeah, I didn't think the throttle body spacer would do much either. Many of the items we are installing on this truck have been donated, (like the throttle body spacer and the spark plugs), so we are trying to use those parts as much as we can. I will let you know once we get it figured out. Also, the 6 coil pack needed to be modified slightly. DUI sent ours this way, but you just need to remove one of the tabs.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i read some comments about swapping those for the upgrade and people were saying the new packs are not labeled for the cylinders like they are on the stock ones. made it sound like they are not the same firing order as the original pack(s) (didn't say which one) and two of the wires can be swapped. something in the instructions about that?

they may of just been saying it was easy to get them mixed up and they put them on wrong . not real clear on that part

Last edited by racefan41; 04-02-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if you could get your hands on the viper wiring diagram?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Stallwart
Amateur

The new coil packs aren't labeled, but the firing order and coil pack output locations are the same for the viper as they are for the ram. I might be wrong but all the documentation that I have seen has them both being the same.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it runs smooth when it does start, firing order is likely correct. Is it giving you any misfire codes?? If you get an 0300... I would be tempted to swap out the plugs for some coppers, and see if that matters. I might also try unplugging the O2 sensors, and see if the missing when warm doesn't reduce/go away.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Stallwart
Amateur

Before we did the change, it had a slight issue once it got warmed up and I was wondering if that was the o2 sensors. I do have some new o2 sensors that I will have put in when we get the new cats and muffler put in. I'm thinking the plugs are probably the issue. I also have a new throttle position sensor and idle air control valve, that will be going in soon. I only had 1 short drive with it since we installed the new ignition setup. It's difficult hiding this project from my dad while still getting things done, but luckily the truck is stored at my house most of the time. I also forgot to mention that the viper spark plug wires will work from DUI but some of them need to be routed a little differently. The viper coil packs are mounted more in the middle of the engine, instead of off to one side. I just used the shortest wires on the passenger side and the longest on the driver's side. It wasn't difficult to make it work, just an FYI.

I'm thinking the spark plugs are most likely the issue. I feel like we damaged the iridium tips when installing them, and from what others have said elsewhere, copper seems to be the way to go. I've heard the viper also prefers copper plugs. Seems like a good place to start. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i looked at wiring diagrams/clyinder order between the two and nothing stands out as different. dont know what they were talking about

Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Stallwart
Amateur

@HeyYou I'm not sure what you mean by the 0300 code, this truck is a 95, so it's OBDI. I can pull the engine codes using the key on off 5 times method. The only code that I see that would show an individual cylinder is 43**

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Quick Reply: Convert 1995 ram v10 coil pack connector to 1997+