2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical/Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM
Mike Spinneweber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/Starting Issues

Having some major electrical issues with my 96 ram 2500 5.9 v8.

Drove the truck 2mi to the gas station no issues, went out to start it had no crank when I turned the key.

•Tested the starter off the truck, it was good.

•Swapped relays around for the starter, no change.

•Swapped in two different ignition switches in the column no change.

•Tested the fuses under the hood, they checked good and we’re getting power.

So I ran a lead from the solenoid to the battery to start the truck to get it home.

When I got it started the airbag light was on, power windows didn’t work, blower motor didn’t work, and didn’t have any reverse lights.

So I tested for power to those respected fuses inside the truck, no power coming in and the fuses all continuity tested good.

I’m at a loss as to what the issue might be, mechanic friend of mine thinks the PCM failed since everything went out at once, but didn’t want to go that route until I ruled every other option out. So any input at this point would be great. Thanks

Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

When you turn the key do you hear the starter relay click? Did you check the neutral safety switch? Did you check grounds and have good connection to the battery? The starter circuit has nothing to do with the pcm.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Dittos on the grounding. If you live in an area where your beast has excessive salt in her diet, check those grounds, especially the ones to the frame/body. Mr. test light and/or volt/ohm meter are your best friends now. See if you have a potential difference or a lit light between engine, frame, body ground and battery ground. If the main junction box under your hood has no power to it's main bus, then you have to check your master fusible link in the aforementioned box. Also, if this is the case, the next question is why did it blow?

Quick Reply: Electrical/Starting Issues