2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbie looking for advice on buying a '98-01 Quad Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM
ybstuk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for advice on buying a '98-01 Quad Cab

Hello - I've recently started looking at buying a '98-01 Quad Cab 4x4 Shortbed pickup. I'm undecided as to go with a 1500, or a 2500. I'd like to have the 5.9 gasser. My situation is this. I own a built jeep, which i'd like to tow on a trailer to go off-roading in (all over the country, someday). i don't do this a lot, but a couple times a year... in the past, i've towed it behind a '97 grand cherokee with the 5.2 (sold this). it worked, but it could be a bit scary at times (yes, the trailer does have brakes). i know i'm a LOT better even just getting into a 1500, instead of the GC. But i wouldn't mind possibly putting a plow on the front someday (not right away) as well. i'm guessing the 2500 would be better for that. also, me being a jeep/off-roader, i like the higher stance of the 2500, but i could always put a small lift on the 1500, so that's not really a big deal. Whichever way i go, it would be a daily driver for me, and my wife would take it on those snowy days to her job 20 miles away. As for maintenance goes, i can do everything myself, but are the 2500's more expensive as far as parts go? (brakes, axle bearings, etc.) i dont mind doing the work, but i dont want to put a ton of extra money in it come time to fix it if i don't have to. and as far as the trans's go, are the ones found in the 2500's better than the 1500's? with the occasional towing i'd be doing, i'd certainly not tow in OD, but i'd be concerned with reliablilty.

So, in my situation listed above (haphazardly), does anyone have any opinions as to if the 1500 would suffice, or if i should be looking for a 2500?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advance!

YBSTUK

Old 12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
ybstuk
Default RE: newbie looking for advice on buying a '98-01 Quad Cab

one more thing - do dodges have any rust/corrosion problems? i've strayed away from GM trucks, simply because most of them are rotted out after 10 years - the dodges seem to be pretty solid.

are there any trouble spots on dodges to look out for? thanks!

yb

Old 12-01-2005, 05:29 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

the major trouble spot is the tranny. if you want to tow anything i'd go with the 2500 just for that sake. also a manual tranny will hold up a bit better than the auto. if you find one you want to buy check the tranny first with a mechanic if you can. the gas milage isn't much different between the 2500 and 1500 5.9s. maybe a hair less due to the weight differences.

get some good snow tires and you'll have no problems with either one. far as a snow plow don't even think about putting one on the 1500.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

From reading your post, my suggestion would be to go with the 2500. If you are going to tow and plow - you can't beat the extra springs, etc. Remember, new springs and lift kits for a 1500 cost big bucks if you want to upgrade someday. I don't know if the 2500 has a different transmission than the 1500 or not. Auto trannys are one of Dodge's weak points. But, the money you save on springs and lift kit could be used to overhaul your tranny and upgrade it for better performance and reliability. As far as brakes, the only difference I am personally aware of is that the front rotors on a 2500 are pressed on, whereas the 1500 rotors come right off. Don't know about cost. I have not noticed ANY rust or corrosion problems on my truck - I live in the midwest where they like to use LOTS of salt, and it has a few scratches and dings in it. I have read posts where some of the '98-'99 models had a problem with the clearcoat coming off. You probably know this - but if you get a gas motor, your mileage is going to SUCK! Most Rams I know of get around 12-13.5 average. Make sure if you get ANY Ram that it has an external tranny cooler, (not just the one that runs through the radiator) If it doesn't, you should add one. On some trucks the factory installed a cooler between the radiator and condenser, so look there. This forum has an answer for just about every question. My suggestion would be to spend time paging back through the old threads and reading any topic that catches your eye. You get a LOT more info that way.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

hey racin... do you know if the stock 2001 1500's came with a tranny cooler? or where i should look for it? i'm guessing it didn't.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: crazy1snow

hey racin... do you know if the stock 2001 1500's came with a tranny cooler? or where i should look for it? i'm guessing it didn't.
If it has a factory tow package then it has an auxilary cooler. If no tow package prolly not an extra tranny cooler. If so it would be off to the passenger side of the radiator.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:30 AM
ybstuk

Thanks for the info! yeah, i know mileage will blow - but my daily drive to work is only about 5 miles, and with my jeep being lifted 6" with 33's, its not like i'm used to good mileage anyhow. another couple questions regarding the 1500 vs. the 2500: are the frames a lot more stout on the 2500's when compared to the 1500's? are they thicker metal? just curious. i think i'm definitely leaning more towards the 2500 now. truthfully, my only concern is the cost of replacing commonly worn parts on the axles. i'm sort of used to simple 1/2 ton axles, and if i'm thinking correctly, the 3/4 ton dodges have more of a "big truck" set of axles, with bigger hubs, brake rotors, etc.... is this true? is this something i should fear, or not? other than that, i really like the "beefiness" of the 2500, and the fact that it's more capable for towing, plowing, etc. yeah, i'm sure a 1500 could suffice, and i could "get by" with it, but i've always been one to try to be prepared for anything, thus the 2500 would suit me best. now i just have to find a good one in my price range - which, with my price range, i'm certainly looking at one with 100K+ miles - but i'm sure there will be plenty of life left in it, as long as it's been halfway taken care of, and as long as i take good care of it.... well - thanks again for the replies and the info!

yb

Old 12-02-2005, 09:12 PM
dodgekid
Professional

yep. The tranny can be a bitch after about 110k or so. The other main thing you need to watch out for if you live up north or in salty areas is rust on the rear bumper and particularly on 4 dr models at rear of the back door hinges. Also, I have seen alot of '94-'97s with rotted out tailgates. Must be a Minnesota thing.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

for some reason i thought the 2500's came with the tranny coolers.. the 2500's are no joke... they are a meatball of a truck .. and the high miles on a magnum motor arnt a big thing to worry about... magnums have been known to be strong through 200,000 miles .... also ,... they are REALLLLLYYYYY fun!!!!!!!! and you wouldnt have a problem towing with a 1500 or a 2500.. its just the plowing takes a major toll on the drive trains and the 2500's are built up to withstand it along with proper preventative maintence.. if you get a 1500 you can get 2500 from springs to beef them up for a plow...thats been done alot! also adds between 2 and 2.5 inchs of lift. good luck with the truck hunt!

Old 12-03-2005, 12:42 PM
ybstuk

thanks for the replies! one more question (as if i haven't asked enough already!). I found a '99 2500 for sale, that's a 2-toned Red on top, with gray on bottom. Except - the red isn't "Flame Red", it's more of a burgundy/pink Red. this may be a really stupid question, but does anybody think that this color is a little "girly"? the truck looks super clean, and sounds about perfect, i'm just a little hesitant with the color - i haven't seen it in person yet - maybe once i do, that will make me feel better, but from the pic it's hard to tell whether it's a cool color, or not. I also found a black one (no question about black being a cool color!) that i want to look at too... Any input would be great! Thanks again! this forum is awesome!

YB

Quick Reply: newbie looking for advice on buying a '98-01 Quad Cab