2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spark plug gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:06 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bit pricey but found those old truck plugs :P https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Set-of-...1/142551218918

from: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...36-4071-a.html

apparently the v10 used a 3 step colder plug vs the 6/8 cylinder engines too. I don't think I'd spend a whole lot either, I could have gotten mine cheaper online but even for all 8 at autozone it was only about 16-17 bucks for my ac delco coppers

"Champion Truck Plugs P/N 4071
Many Ram owners have reported they were pleased with a change to this plug.
The main differences between the Truck Plug 4071 and the stock RC12YC seems to
be that the new center electrode metal rod is longer, and the insulator is
black color instead of white. (Resistor inside 85,000 ohms) It is possible
that the extra 10,000 ohms of resistance retards spark firing a little bit,
and may account for why some report that this plug reduced pinging on their
Ram."

interesting

Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
on a little bit of a side note now that we mention coils, has anybody tried the MSD coil for these trucks and did they help with power any? I'm unsure of the age of my old looking coil and figured a new one surely couldn't hurt. There are some cheap dinky ones for sale online, couldn't find an actual mopar one...at about 40ish bucks new on amazon the MSD seemed like a good deal. I wouldn't wanna go with some unknown one and end up stranded. Some claimed the MSD coil alone made their vehicles run alot better than before.
i can't really say if the msd coil made my 93 run any better. it got me by for another year before the pcm started really crapping out on me. i would say if the stock coil is working just leave it. i also ran a redneck coil setup for a while on my 93 till i got the msd coil and it really didn't seem to effect things much either. i think how well these things run is mainly up to how they are maintained.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 PM
GreenRam5.2
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response guy's i plan on using copper champs i was thinking of going a bit bigger on gap and it sounds like it can't hurt. i will start at .045 see if is good or not and adjust from there.

Quick Reply: spark plug gap