2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tps / torque converter / loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM
jackcone9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tps / torque converter / loss of power

okay, it's a 2000 ram 1500 , I've done the coil, plugs, distcap, rotor, plug wires .. been reading up on this, it seemed that the tps was a possible cure , but somedays it's good , somedays I disconnect the battery for the reset, at times it will not shift into 20 mph without not tach'in at 2500 , and worse, even with a easy foot to feel the shift, 35 mph - 45mph there's a lot of noise / shifting going on, 45 to 55 , bogs down like it's staving , then finally interstate speed okay, I would like to believe that I bought a crap tps online ..
UPDATE 4/ 5/18 I did a overnight battery disconnect , I've been doing this a lot, but I got good results from it,
powers up- accelerates like it did when I bought it, still can rev a 23-2500 on shifts, but it does the shift rotation
okay, with a little help feathering in the pedal, you get the shift bump at 25 mph, 35-42, then at 45mph smooth
sailing... it's just a matter of time before it craps again, so it's a series of disconnecting the battery until amazon delivers
what I hope is a working TPS , that snap connects , the current one does not snap/ and was not made to snap connect ..

Last edited by jackcone9; 04-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

May not be the TPS at all.

Have you checked the plenum yet? Some of your symptoms match up with what you get with a blown gasket. See the stickied plenum thread at the top of this forum for more information.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 PM
jackcone9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
May not be the TPS at all.

Have you checked the plenum yet? Some of your symptoms match up with what you get with a blown gasket. See the stickied plenum thread at the top of this forum for more information.
THANKS , I did watch some youtube videos , so I know what to look for, but I'm not gonna be the guy doing
the work ../ a younger man's game, with better tools , but I did buy another tps for under $20 / see what sticks !

Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's the plenum, it's a good time to change the timing chain and water pump. Have them check your Cat because sometimes it plugs because of the oil ingested by the leaking plenum gasket. A new O2 sensor is a really good idea, as is a thermostat. It's expensive, but my truck ran really nice afterwards. Just make sure thats what the problem is.

Quick Reply: tps / torque converter / loss of power