2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM
jlenik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake light

last night i set my parking brake inorder to remove my dashboards face plate, this morning when i hoped into my truck released my parking brake and noticed my parking break light didnt go out after doing some research i realized it was a multifunction light and could mean i have low brake fluid so on my way to school picked up some brake fluid and topped up the resivior because it was indeed low, I turned my truck back on and still had a light, and even pumped the brakes a few times, is there an amount of time i have to wait before it goes out or do i have to drive it in order for it to go out or am i looking at a different problem at this point such as a bad sensor? oh btw its a 96 dodge ram 1500

Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

No, there are some pins on your ABS control (rear wheel ABS only) that have probably popped out. They are under rubber dust boots and need to be reset. The front one is usually the culprit. It is located right next to the master cylinder.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM
jlenik

thanks for the advise,
I will check this when i get out of class, but if this is the issue why didnt i get an abs light as well?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM
true blue
Veteran

Sorry, I'm no good a transferring images...but here's a try...the RWAL valve has a black rubber cover on front

Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 AM
true blue
Veteran

Not 100% sure this is the cause, but it's simple to fix and can be done by pokin' around under the hood in any parking lot without the worry of causing further damage. Takes 5 minutes tops from the time you "pop" the hood latch.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM
true blue
Veteran

Heres a question outta order, dijya try pulling the parking brake release again?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 AM
jlenik

yes, that was the first thing i tryed because i thought maybe it did not release all the way, i also reset the the parking brake and tried to drive in order to see if when i released the brake to see if it was releasing all the way which it is, i still have brakes they are/were sluggish this morning it took longer to stop but return was instant, which i think i have corrected by ading the brake fluid, or hopefully, i dont think that air got into the system but i supose it is a posibility

Quick Reply: parking brake light