2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cel triggered freeze frame info-If can post freeze frame info, can you look?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel triggered freeze frame info-If can post freeze frame info, can you look?

I got 1st cel yesterday, P0307. Never had cel's on this truck before. She's been mechanically sound enough to not generate any cel's since I've had the truck(only like 1 1/2 yrs) It's the 98 Laramie, 5.9, 4x4, ext cab, short bed.

I had gotten that blue driver reader thing for the truck a while back, jic. It did happen to be in the slot when the cel came on. It told me it took a freeze frame of some info when that cel came popped up, like the cel triggered it somehow to take some info, maybe like, because check engine light came on or something? Maybe it takes a reading of some stuff if it happens to be in there already?

I don't really know what I'm looking at though! Sucks. Y'all think someone might know what some of it means? It looks like only 7 or 8 things it took.
Code was "misfire cylinder 7".

Worried now. Man, I JUST fixed t-case month or 2 ago. Did just about the whole cooling system when I 1st got truck 1 1/2 yrs ago. I did the water pump, t stat, flushed rad, hoses and stuff. And did the plugs, wires, vc gaskets, that thing that goes in the valve covers, new hose to those, and some other basic stuff, like belt. And I just got a damn decent used tool box for it too! I was lookin at gettin ready to try to take the diff pinion bearings out, or at least look at em or something, doing somethin pertaining to that pinion bearing being bad type sound, next. Now I don't know what I'm gonna do next yet.

But it's still running seemingly fine to me. Has that sweet, good power w no running issues engine wise. I don't really ever "get on it" so to speak, don't 4 wheel ever. It's just recently makin that what might be bad pinion bearings sound when u let off gas, u know, like a stick car sounds when ur going in reverse sort of quickly? That sound. But it's driving fine, despite that particular sound.

And cant tell anything changed since yesterdays cel came on, with that 0307 code, she's still purring like the ol' kitten cat it IS! (nothing that I can tell, anyway) I looked at all the plug wires for melted or damage, nothing there. Everything's tight. Hoses and stuff aren't dry-rotted. Nothing's loose. Intake is tight. It's put of right around that big circle and with the rubber gasket fitted in there perfect. Man, it all seems good!

It does got about 247k though.
Anything I can look at in that "live" info part of that Blue driver thing maybe? To give me a clue? Or really, give y'all a clue?? haha!
(btw, I am getting better, soooo...haven't been botherin y'all as much lately)
Thanks! for any help.
The thing I changed in the vc's was new pcv valves!

Last edited by marcpilot1; 04-13-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: remembered what the thing was called
Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

How old are the plugs/wires/cap/rotor?? Any other codes?

Could just clear the codes, and see if they come back.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Thanks!
Heyyou, that blue d cleared it the 2 mornings ago when it popped up. It did come back yesterday. Took about 10 miles. I didn't clear it this time, and haven't driven it since then (yesterday).

Think i should take plenum and stuff off to tasks intake out?
I did do all plugs, wires and cap 1 1/2 ago when bought it.
Maybe i can look at some real time stuff on the blue driver reader? I will go get new plugs, wires and dist cap today, throw em on and see what results. Go from there i guess. Thanks too!

Last edited by marcpilot1; 04-14-2018 at 06:36 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Code came back 4 times. I decided to take off dist cap and guess what? Those metal points things had lot of corrosion. I THOUGHT I HAD CHANGED PLUGS, WIRES AND CAP 1 YR AGO! apparently nottt!

So I just finished that and while doing, found broken skinny vac line going into cowl area, mid left, and fixed that. Guess what? NOW AIR COMES OUT OF VENTS, FLOOR, DEFROST LIKE SUPPOSED TO!
Guess what else? TOOK THROTTLE BODY OFF, CLEANED IT AND THAT IAC MOTOR THING, IDLES AT 7K NOW ALL SMOOTH, NOT HOVERING AT 6, 6500, 6200, 6800, 6100, etc, etc! I love the Gen2 Dodge Rams!

Guess what else though? Sux too. When took off thrtl body, I looked inside and there was greenish liquid, some blackish **** and, when I took the spark plug out of the misfire coded cylinder(cyl8), the nut part of plug was rustyish. None of other plugs were. Anyway, I took some pics the best I could of the bottom of the thing thrtl body sits on and can put 1 or 2 up if you want. Isnt there something I can do about that? A gasket or smthn? Hopefully nothing in the thousands of $$$, but something?

Oh well, for now it's back! Doing freakin EX again!! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cel triggered freeze frame info-If can post freeze frame info, can you look?