2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake drum hold down spring help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Ah, it read like you didn't believe there was one available, not that you didn't have one. I've never had a problem with my LSD and don't have enough power to even check its performance.

You might have 3.73 gears but that's rare compared to 3.5 or 4.10. There are three places you can look before getting the cover off and counting rotations: there should be a tag on one of the bolts in the rear cover, tag under the hood, or listed on the Monroney if you have it.

I'd say if you ever parted it out, you may get something for the D44 8 lug since that would be a great axle for jeeps. The 8 lug corporate is probably worthless.

I agree staying with Dodge. You could get the 1 ton cylinders which is a bit better than stock but not as aggressive as Chevy ones, according to my reading.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Ah, it read like you didn't believe there was one available, not that you didn't have one. I've never had a problem with my LSD and don't have enough power to even check its performance.

You might have 3.73 gears but that's rare compared to 3.5 or 4.10. There are three places you can look before getting the cover off and counting rotations: there should be a tag on one of the bolts in the rear cover, tag under the hood, or listed on the Monroney if you have it.

I'd say if you ever parted it out, you may get something for the D44 8 lug since that would be a great axle for jeeps. The 8 lug corporate is probably worthless.

I agree staying with Dodge. You could get the 1 ton cylinders which is a bit better than stock but not as aggressive as Chevy ones, according to my reading.
Yeah I meant 3.73 oops. I'm pretty sure that's what it said on the build sheet which is in my glovebox. Barring it being totaled, I've got no plans to part out my sweet ol girl. Just keep fixing little things and It'll probably outlast me

Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So last night I put the new wheel cylinders in and got the same result on the drivers side. The shoes wouldn't contact the anchor pin up top. I finally had the idea to unhook the parking brake next to the frame rail and what do you know, the shoe finally went into place. Apparently the drivers side parking brake was adjusted too tight, somehow. Didn't have anyone to help bleed the brakes so It'll have to wait until I get it back on the road again. Going to adjust the parking brake to where it works good, if I can figure out the adjustment procedure for both sides.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

You can bleed them yourself. Check out Chrisfix's youtube.

Quick Reply: brake drum hold down spring help!