2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice please...Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:45 PM
umbali
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice please...Transmission problem UPDATE

So my 95 Ram had a rebuild about 4 years ago and maybe 25k miles ago. It recently started slipping. It is a 46re i believe. I bought a solenoid control thingy bob lol...I am going to try that tomorrow. What should I be looking at in addition to that? Ive read about bands but never really followed up on it. Any advice would be a big help. I am willing to try many things as long as I dont have to drop transmission. Also as a side not thats not important but I would love to fix, my truck doesnt shift into 4x4 after I got transmission rebuilt and I never noticed cus i rarely used it.

Thanks

Last edited by umbali; 04-21-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

What gear is the trans slipping in? What solenoid did you buy? Your truck should have a 46RH trans, in which the first three gears are purely hydraulically controlled. The governor is mechanical, not electronic.

If you are slipping in the lower gears, a band adjustment might help...... if you are slipping in O/D, replacing the O/D solenoid *might* help, but, don't hold your breath.

Check your trans fluid first though, be sure and check it when the trans is fully warmed up, and in neutral. Park will give an artificially high reading.

For your 4x4, have a look here.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:20 AM
umbali
Amateur

Well as far as the transmission goes, when I went to replace it a few years back I got a used 46rh and the mechanic told me mine had electrical connections and was a 46re. So how do I go about finding out which it is? It is slipping in the lower gears. I already checked my fluid and initially it was a bit over filled. I drained some out via the coolant line going to the radiator.

This is what I purchased but I am starting to think its not the right part after browsing the forums. purchased

I am about to go outside and unplug the electrical connection on top of the transmission and try driving it as per some of the forum posts

Old 04-21-2018, 10:55 AM
umbali
Amateur

As far as telling which transmission i have, do i look for electrical connections to see if its a 46re?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:54 PM
umbali
Amateur

So is that a bad amount of metal shavings in pan? Also is that the area where I disconnect the plug in and test drive ? Right above that I pulled the oval shaped connector off and drove it. It still slipped. On the one pic is that the vacuum hoses for torque converter? One was totally unplugged. Also the guy at parts store said my truck was a 96 because it was manufactured in June 95. Is that why it would be a 46re ?

Old 04-21-2018, 02:30 PM
umbali
Amateur

So I replaced fluid and filter. Took it out for a drive and its still slipping in the lower gears. It does not slip in over drive. It also downshifts fine. Reverse seems fine as well.

So should I be thinking solenoid? Or is the shavings in the pan too much? Or band adjustment? Also should I have turned the truck on when the pan was dropped so get any remaining fluid pumped out? The reason I ask is because I found a bottle of Dextron VI in my tool box that might have been used the last time I topped off transmission. IF I put the wrong fluid in would it be causing these problems and if so do i need to do a full flush?

Thank you for any help you can give

Last edited by umbali; 04-21-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Given the condition of the stuff in your pan, I am thinkin' your trans is just about toast. 95 *should* be an RH...... While you had the pan down, did you see any sensors/solenoids on the bottom of the valve body?

A flush will most likely finish the job of killing your trans.

Quick Reply: Advice please...Tranny problem