2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anybody else ever have pcv valve whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody else ever have pcv valve whistle?

I have no torn hoses that are easily visible, I've been in the engine bay for extended periods before when doing my full tuneup a couple months back and just in general and never saw anything wrong, but after replacing the old stopped up pcv valve with a new mopar one, there's whistling when giving the truck gas/accelerating, whistling stops when I let off the pedal...

could it just be a bad pcv valve? Looking around online I found conflicting reports, some claim that proves a blown plenum or vacuum leak, but I saw no pooled oil before and in the time I've had the truck I haven't lost any oil on the dipstick level either. Albeit in the year I've had it I've only driven it a little over 1000 miles, just to the grocery store and such, but you'd figure if the plenum was blown some oil would have been lost in that time?

it runs and drives fine and no check engine light, only things I might do to it now are put a new map sensor and o2 in hopes of getting some better mpg outta the thing but I found it odd that it started making this noise only after taking out the old bad pcv valve, I even installed a new pcv hose in hopes of that fixing the problem and it seemed to help a little at first but it still whistles.

this old topic claims it could be the air box gasket maybe....? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ccelerate.html

I have the KN Cold Air intake that was already on the truck when I bought it, I was delighted since in so many posts across the internet people swore with a cold air intake and dual exhaust these trucks could magically get 20+ mpg but nope lol.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Too many things can make the whistle. If you can get it to do it in park, then have someone else hold the pedal so the noise is present, whilst you go looking for it.

Quick Reply: Anybody else ever have pcv valve whistle?