2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Compensation for straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Unless your cats are plugged (literally) up they offer very little resistance. If your cats are unplugged (electrically) your system (OBD2) will stay in open loop mode and uses the preset maps in the computer. When these maps are used, it throws more fuel into the mix to keep it running smoothy until it gets warmed up and other parameters are met. Like a choke on carburetor, keeps it running rich until warmed up and uses a lot of gas. If ran this way (OBD2) for extended periods it will clog the cats reducing power. Haven't researched, if you can cut the aftercat O2 sensor out of the computer parameters then running without cats is no problem and will go into closed loop mode. It'll just pollute a bit more.
you know... I’ve been thinking my pre cat o2 isn’t working but I don’t have codes, truck runs rich as a carbed 454. Maybe if I change that sensor too it’ll even out.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

O2 sensors have a selection of failure modes that won't set a code. If the sensor is original, replace it. Use NTK, or Denso sensors, skip bosch, our trucks don't like 'em.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 AM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
O2 sensors have a selection of failure modes that won't set a code. If the sensor is original, replace it. Use NTK, or Denso sensors, skip bosch, our trucks don't like 'em.
+1.. Went through this with my jeep. Ran like crap, misfired, hestitated, wouldn't shift out of second properly, all kinds of weird stuff. Once it warmed up it was ok. Repaet on a daily basis. No codes. Did some research, unplugged the front O2. Ran great, check engine light on though. Gas mileage? ...meh....
Replaced the sensor, NTK. Whole other vehicle.

From what I was able to ascertain, Mopar O2 sensors are made by NTK. But, I looked that up a long time ago....

Quick Reply: Compensation for straight pipe