2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9.25 repair help....Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'm sorry if I confused you always sucked at explaining things in text. Did you soak the clutches? I remember mine being tight but not that right.
​​​​​​
Its all good, no worries man. I appreciate you bothering to back and forth with me. I'm repealing them now .Gonna go overnight this time. Service manual says 20 minutes. Fighting a migraine setting in. Gonna walk away from it today. I'll post up when I get it all back together. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:56 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
No worries. Late beats never. Sorry but the clarification secrionnof your last reply confused the ****boutta me. So more pictures to the rescue...
the smooth spring washer (Belleville spring according to the useless service manual) is curved as the red line is. You're saying they should.go on positioned like that? If that's the case how the f*** do you get the retainer clips on? Wtf am I missing?
thanks ahead again .
Daz
The way it's shown with the red, the convex side is away from the gear. You would have to flip it to have the convex side against the gear. Like your picture with the green line.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2bit
The way it's shown with the red, the convex side is away from the gear. You would have to flip it to have the convex side against the gear. Like your picture with the green line.
Thanks again guys. Painful. I put it together after soaking the packs overnight in the friction modifier slop and put it together today convex side against gear back and am to the point where I have center pin in and non ring gear side bearing 99% on. Trying to find the right socket size or other idea to seat it the rest of the way without bunging the **** out of the outer bearing roller pin cage. Ive talked to enough people now that have said its been pretty freaking tight when they had it all together but it worked out in the end just fine. Makes sense i guess with everything being brand new and original thicknesses. It is a clutch pack made to lock up....Never done a backlash before and have to make the bearing race adjust cup tool tomorrow at some point. Everyone said differentials were terrifying and a nightmare to get right. Guess were gonna see.
**** it Dude. Lets go bowling.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Soooooo...any noise is bad.... Took it for a spin around the property. Nothing crazy, just some putting around some figure eights and a little forwards backwards. Nothing over 30 km/h heard what sounded like a metallic clinking. No pattern to it and very very sporadic. Hardly happened but when it did it sounded crappy.
Back on blocks, diff cover off and nothing has changed. No metal bits, retainer clips in place still, Backlash still 0.007 / 0.008. Not brake noise.
Flushed the diff and threw the cover back on. Filled it up, this time adding a lucas diff additive, on top of the friction modifier and Lucas 80 90 diff fluid to full. Ran it around again and same same. Not rotational, no pattern to it. Hear it for a second or three and then its gone. Doesnt happen when i take my foot off gas and coast, doesn't always happen in just forward or just reverse. Not speed related either. Im F*****g lost here.
No damage at all in the diff.
Any opinions or advice?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
Soooooo...any noise is bad.... Took it for a spin around the property. Nothing crazy, just some putting around some figure eights and a little forwards backwards. Nothing over 30 km/h heard what sounded like a metallic clinking. No pattern to it and very very sporadic. Hardly happened but when it did it sounded crappy.
Back on blocks, diff cover off and nothing has changed. No metal bits, retainer clips in place still, Backlash still 0.007 / 0.008. Not brake noise.
Flushed the diff and threw the cover back on. Filled it up, this time adding a lucas diff additive, on top of the friction modifier and Lucas 80 90 diff fluid to full. Ran it around again and same same. Not rotational, no pattern to it. Hear it for a second or three and then its gone. Doesnt happen when i take my foot off gas and coast, doesn't always happen in just forward or just reverse. Not speed related either. Im F*****g lost here.
No damage at all in the diff.
Any opinions or advice?
When I did my side bearings I used the old bearing as a tool to press it on the rest of the way. Describe the sound to me the best you can.

Quick Reply: 9.25 repair help....Please!