2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9.25 repair help....Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9.25 repair help....Please!

PLEASE HELP!
Hey guys..getting thoroughly pissed off here.
doing clutch packs and carrier bearings on a 9.25 3.92 rear end.
I need someone that KNOWS diffs so I can bug them about a couple things.
Most importantly I need to know which way the clutch pack spring ring (?) goes in. When I removed the old ones they were worn out and broken. I know the order of the pack but I have gotten mixed reviews as to whether the last non grooved spring ring goes in. Concave in towards the back of the side gear (back of gear INTO the bowl shape) or concave out away from back of the gear and out towards the other clutch and spacer rings (bowl facing AWAY from back of side gear).

I currently (as per a few pages I found online) have the diff reassembled with the concave side facing the outside away from the back of the side gears. I cannot move the gears at all now though after removing my bolts that I used to compress the clutches enough to get the spiders and thrust washers into place. It seems far too tight to me.

thanks ahead.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:00 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 05-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Default 9.25 3.92 clutch pack frustration!! PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by 2bit
Thanks...doesn't mention directionality of the concave spring washer in the clutch pack, so again can someone that knows please tell me which way they face. Concave facing to the back of the side gear or concave facing out and away from side gear. I have been told different ways by different people. I cant believe that the direction doesn't matter so before i keep going i need to know which way they go. Thanks

Last edited by Itchybruno74; 05-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
Thanks...doesn't mention directionality of the concave spring washer in the clutch pack, so again can someone that knows please tell me which way they face. Concave facing to the back of the side gear or concave facing out and away from side gear. I have been told different ways by different people. I cant believe that the direction doesn't matter so before i keep going i need to know which way they go. Thanks
Mine was facing towards the side gear

Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Mine was facing towards the side gear
hey man. Thanks for replying. To clarify the Concave was facing in as if the back of the side gear was IN the bowl of the spring spacer (belleville washer)? I'm my pic ive attached I have color coded the two different ways they can go on. The green and yellow are the belleville spring spacers in my pic. You're saying you installed yours like the yellow example correct? This is opposite how they come packaged and my originals were too flattened to tell which way the curvature went. This is my first diff repair and everyone has said if it's fine wrong the test run is instant carnage. Dont want my money wasted.

Yellow or green is correct positition for spring belleville spacers?

thanks ahead.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

hey man. Thanks for replying. To clarify the Concave was facing in as if the back of the side gear was IN the bowl of the spring spacer (belleville washer)? I'm my pic ive attached I have color coded the two different ways they can go on. The green and yellow are the belleville spring spacers in my pic. You're saying you installed yours like the yellow example correct? This is opposite how they come packaged and my originals were too flattened to tell which way the curvature went. This is my first diff repair and everyone has said if it's fine wrong the test run is instant carnage. Dont want my money wasted.

Yellow or green is correct positition for spring belleville spacers?

thanks ahead.
Sorry for the late reply as I'm chatting down electrical issues in my Ram. Yes the "bowl" part should go into the housing. That way the "bowl" part of the siders gears go into the spacer. Yes the yellow way is correct. Just so we understand each other, the side gear makes a "C", if looking at it from the side so if you had the teeth facing left it would protrude making your bowl, the bowl of the side gear should go into the bowl of the washer.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

No worries. Late beats never. Sorry but the clarification secrionnof your last reply confused the ****boutta me. So more pictures to the rescue...
the smooth spring washer (Belleville spring according to the useless service manual) is curved as the red line is. You're saying they should.go on positioned like that? If that's the case how the f*** do you get the retainer clips on? Wtf am I missing?
thanks ahead again .
Daz

Old 05-30-2018, 05:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No worries. Late beats never. Sorry but the clarification secrionnof your last reply confused the ****boutta me. So more pictures to the rescue...
the smooth spring washer (Belleville spring according to the useless service manual) is curved as the red line is. You're saying they should.go on positioned like that? If that's the case how the f*** do you get the retainer clips on? Wtf am I missing?
thanks ahead again .
Daz
Here is how everything should go in. I can't get pictures of mine until tomorrow. Just so we understand each other.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 05-30-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Thanks again for getting back to me. That pic (found it on the 4wheeler site) days the cupped spring plate goes covex side against the back of the side gear. Whcih is the opposite of what to said based on my pictures. Convex would be so that the back of the gear would not be in the bowl but the clutch plates would be in the bowl. The back of the side gear would be against the "bottom of the bowl" which is how I reasembled everything in the first place but ended up everything was so tight you couldn't even budge the gears. I'm definitely missing something.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thanks again for getting back to me. That pic (found it on the 4wheeler site) days the cupped spring plate goes covex side against the back of the side gear. Whcih is the opposite of what to said based on my pictures. Convex would be so that the back of the gear would not be in the bowl but the clutch plates would be in the bowl. The back of the side gear would be against the "bottom of the bowl" which is how I reasembled everything in the first place but ended up everything was so tight you couldn't even budge the gears. I'm definitely missing something.
I'm sorry if I confused you always sucked at explaining things in text. Did you soak the clutches? I remember mine being tight but not that right.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: 9.25 repair help....Please!