2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch Hydros life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Captyler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Hydros life expectancy

I have Valair hydros in my truck that are starting to go out. I was just wondering how long everyone is getting out of there HD hydros?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Stock lasted for 19 years and still worked when I replaced them. New ones were butter for a month, then got gritty. Replaced under warranty and same story. Thinking its the clutch. How did the Valair kit work for you?

I did some research and while they have different part numbers for the pre-bled kits for 1500 and 2500s, the individual slave and master are the same parts. So I've been wondering if getting an HD kit for my 1500 clutch will cure the gritty pedal feel.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Captyler

They seemed to work good, the best I can figure out, I put them in, in 2012, but I also put a heavy clutch in at that time. Six years didn't seem right to me, but I dunno. I will let you know how the new kit feels, comes Friday.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Six years is better than one month. I can't figure out why they're butter smooth for a couple weeks then they slowly get super grindy, gritty, sandy, catchy, whatever. And there is nothing on the net about this. My clutch is only two years old also. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Would you please list your truck, engine, trans, etc.?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Captyler

My truck is a 2001 Ram 2500, with the NV5600 (6 Spd) and Cummins Engine.

Have you looked at your clutch pedal bushings, pivot rod and connecting pin? I had to remove my entire pedal weld in a new pin and do the bushings. Other than that the only thing I can think of would be the throw out bearing may not be sliding the best.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 AM
Ramman18
Champion

After my second hydro kit I replaced the bushings and cleaned the pin real good and put on new grease. No difference.

I'm afraid its the stupid TO bearing. I was so meticulous in replacing the clutch after my "mechanic" screwed me on the last one. But why does a new kit work perfectly for a few weeks then gets all gritty? Wouldn't a bad bearing be bad immediately? ARGG

Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
After my second hydro kit I replaced the bushings and cleaned the pin real good and put on new grease. No difference.

I'm afraid its the stupid TO bearing. I was so meticulous in replacing the clutch after my "mechanic" screwed me on the last one. But why does a new kit work perfectly for a few weeks then gets all gritty? Wouldn't a bad bearing be bad immediately? ARGG
No it could be weak from the factory. My 94 Ram did that like sand was in the clutch. Went through everything twice (same brand) and still had it. Was telling my pa about it and he just laugh and said throw out bearing. I changed it with a different brand and it is fine not and I put about 90,000 miles on it. Church is going bad due to the burnouts though lol sold it to a kid though never really liked that body style

Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No it could be weak from the factory. My 94 Ram did that like sand was in the clutch. Went through everything twice (same brand) and still had it. Was telling my pa about it and he just laugh and said throw out bearing. I changed it with a different brand and it is fine not and I put about 90,000 miles on it. Church is going bad due to the burnouts though lol sold it to a kid though never really liked that body style
Hate it when that happens!

Yeah, it has to be the bearing. It is OEM Sachs btw. So only thing I can do is attempt another swap someday and "hope" it's better. But getting that crossmember out takes an act of God. So who knows when I'll feel like doing it again.

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydros life expectancy