2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odessa EQ Heads vs EQ Monster heads vs Iron Ram Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 03:04 AM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Odessa EQ Heads vs EQ Monster heads vs Iron Ram Heads

Hi everyone, I had a coolant leak in my 5.9 that I luckily found while changing my plugs to a cooler number and using my boroscope camera. This has all happened within months of doing 2 tear downs, 1 for the water pump and 2 for the plenum oil leak. This is now my 3 journey into the beast. I have a 2001 5.9 R/T Durango same engine as you ram guys.

I am using my truck mostly for towing (105k). The coolant leak seems to have been from the head gasket, but I didn't see any cracks in the gasket material. From my research it was the early versions of the Magnum's that were prone to cracking but not so much later. I didn't see any cracks eyeballing it.

So looking at the options for replacement heads. So far I have seen odessa EQ heads, Monster EQ heads, and hughes has 2 sets of iron ram heads. Does anyone have any ideas on what the differences are and what will these heads so performance wise? I keep reading some bad stories from all the respective engines companies in reviews and the forums.

Here are a few pics of the pulled heads.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Most of the castings come from the same places..... just whose name they put on it changes.

For every person that posts a 'bad' review, there are ten that didn't post anything at all. Good or bad. The EQ heads flow better than stock, and are available with larger valves as well. (if you choose to go that route.) Of course, that will require a custom tune to get the most out of them......

Old 06-03-2018, 04:07 AM
fcastro
Professional
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most of the castings come from the same places..... just whose name they put on it changes.

For every person that posts a 'bad' review, there are ten that didn't post anything at all. Good or bad. The EQ heads flow better than stock, and are available with larger valves as well. (if you choose to go that route.) Of course, that will require a custom tune to get the most out of them......
The cast is the same its just the valves and springs that are different? So how does one know what parts to look for? Looking around at a few videos people have said to avoid heads with Chinese parts. None of the mentioned shops tell you what parts they use. The EQ heads also have thicker walls between the crack prone areas but didn't know I would need a tune. What would you recommend for someone like me that is using the truck as a daily driver and for towing? Torque is more important then anything else I would guess. I thought about also changing the keg on top but I haven't seen anything convincing me that is worth while cash wise.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just about everything is made in china these days....... And I don't think many of the sellers ever mention just WHERE their parts are made. It's a crap shoot.

A tuner isn't a bad idea, even if you don't get a custom tune. If you just go with 'stock replacement' heads (be sure you get the NEW castings, with thicker decks, not the Reman fellers), you won't need the custom tune, but, they won't get you any more power either. You could do the EQ heads, with the stock tune, but, you won't get the full benefit of the better flow without one. (it would still be an improvement though.... ) If you were going to go with the EQ's, and custom tune, I would be real tempted to toss a better cam in there as well. In for a penny, in for a pound? Stick with the 1.94 intake valves, they are better for low-end grunt, than the 2.02 valves.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 AM
fcastro
Professional

A cam is too much work for me to even entertain, lol. My engine is still in the truck. Hughes mentions on their site to make sure you get bronze guides from any EQ heads. I realize they want you to buy from them and this just might be instilling fear in a buyer lol. Odessa and aamidwest seem to be the other two major sellers online. It's a big purchase on my end so trying to do my best on research. I continue to read that even if they say the heads are ready to go its a good idea to take them to a local machine shop to get inspected. Which to me seems nuts considering they are 1k roughly. Any thoughts on whether its a needed step to take heads to get inspected? Don't even know what something like that would cost either.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by fcastro
A cam is too much work for me to even entertain, lol. My engine is still in the truck. Hughes mentions on their site to make sure you get bronze guides from any EQ heads. I realize they want you to buy from them and this just might be instilling fear in a buyer lol. Odessa and aamidwest seem to be the other two major sellers online. It's a big purchase on my end so trying to do my best on research. I continue to read that even if they say the heads are ready to go its a good idea to take them to a local machine shop to get inspected. Which to me seems nuts considering they are 1k roughly. Any thoughts on whether its a needed step to take heads to get inspected? Don't even know what something like that would cost either.
The technical name is called ported and polished. Basically what that does is clean the castings up as no matter how expensive or new there are tabs left from casting the heads. You don't need it but it does help thet flow better. It all depends on the shop on how much it is.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Having them checked is just insurance. I would like to think it isn't really necessary....... but, in this day and age, 'quality control' has become pretty much a joke.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:07 PM
fcastro
Professional
Exclamation

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The technical name is called ported and polished. Basically what that does is clean the castings up as no matter how expensive or new there are tabs left from casting the heads. You don't need it but it does help thet flow better. It all depends on the shop on how much it is.
So is that all a port and polish does? Reason I ask is because I keep reading about these mass manufacturing places leaving too tight of a tolerance I believe on the valves. Sorry I am still trying to learn the language.

Quick Reply: Odessa EQ Heads vs EQ Monster heads vs Iron Ram Heads