2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frustrated to no end.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Robyn Mundt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Frustrated to no end.

Hello all!! I have a 2001 2500 with the magnum V8. I have a couple of issues.

1. I broke the screw on the distributor cap and now can't get it off. Can this be drilled out with a tap and die set?
2. Do I have to drop the motor to get the distributor our if I can't get the screw out?

I have tried looking on line for answers and it keeps pulling up the 1500's instead, what is up with that????

Thank you for any and all help on this.
r-

Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

1500s and 2500s have the same cab and frame. Only difference was suspension and axles. They also share the 5.9 V8 so any info you find on the 1500 is applicable to the 2500.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:17 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

There should be two screws holding the distributor cap onto the distributor. If you broke the screw head off one side clean, you should be able to remove the screw on the other side, then lift the distributor cap up and over the broken screw that's stuck in the distributor. Once you have the distributor cap off, you should be able to take a pair of vise grip pliers (or Knipex water pump pliers) to grab and twist the remnants of the broken screw to remove it, so you can install a new distributor cap. The new distributor cap should come with new screws.

Its not a fun job, as the distributor is buried at the rear of the motor and the kegger intake manifold gets in the way to work on the distributor easily. If you haven't changed the plenum gasket on your kegger intake manifold to stop oil from seeping into the bottom of your intake manifold, removing the intake to fix that issue will also give you a huge amount of working room to work on the distributor.

Quick Reply: Frustrated to no end.