2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shackle flip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:16 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally got some motivation to start this project. Yearly road worthy inspection expired a month ago, so I can't use my truck. And to be honest, I let it expire so I don't jerry rig anything like weld patches to rusted parts. Which don't last that long anyway. So it's time to fix couple of issues, one being this shackle hanger:

I had measurements for the hanger, but they were on my old phone so they're gone. No biggie, took new ones and draw a picture to help visualize the part. Most of the hangers I've found online are mounted only to the side of the frame, I decided to mount it under the frame, too:

Next I need to get some material.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

That looks pretty thorough. What do you do for a living?

Are you planning on lifting the truck a bit? If so, the front gets to be much more fun.....

Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks. I'm a heavy truck mechanic. Although back in the days almost three decades ago, I studied completely different profession, and there we had technical drawing.

Nope, not going to lift it. Front has leveling block and rear is at stock height, so currently it has nice stance and height for a daily driver, and on occasional offroad trips I've really not been in a situation where taller suspension would've made any huge difference.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:57 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe measure your frame height now and also the height of the spring arch . Then remove your blocks and bolt the springs to the axle. Block the frame up to the height you measured. Now you'll know how long to make the spring bracket, keeping in mind what the loaded spring arch height was.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2bit
Maybe measure your frame height now and also the height of the spring arch . Then remove your blocks and bolt the springs to the axle. Block the frame up to the height you measured. Now you'll know how long to make the spring bracket, keeping in mind what the loaded spring arch height was.
That's a really good idea. I am just not a fan of blocks.....

Old 01-14-2020, 11:11 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's a really good idea. I am just not a fan of blocks.....
With the shackle flip, he should be able to throw the blocks away. And he should be able to build the rear shackle mount to keep the height the same.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2bit
With the shackle flip, he should be able to throw the blocks away. And he should be able to build the rear shackle mount to keep the height the same.
Rumor has it, it rides better too..... No evidence for that though.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rumor has it, it rides better too..... No evidence for that though.
I'm thinking of doing this to the truck we just bought. I'm quite aways from that project yet, other than planning.

Quick Reply: Shackle flip