2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic and o2 sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 PM
C12Creed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic and o2 sensor help

1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

My check engine came on and autozone said it was for a faulty catalytic converter. When he showed me where it was, he told me the catalytic was deleted.

This is the first time Ive got this code since Ive had it in March. I wanted clarification from the community on this.

The rep told me I can replace the o2 sensor(which I can do myself) and the CEL will go away instead of replacing the entire exhaust system which Im definitely not able to do financially or on my own. As a mobile mechanic he quoted me 1200 for parts and labor on exhaust. I do not find it worth doing so yet since Id like to run it for up to a year before spending on major repairs like that.

Any thoughts on his suggestion? Any ideas on what I should do that wont cost over 300$(my remaining budget on this truck since Ive bought it)?

My truck doesnt seem to have any issues, so Im thinking of just leaving the CEL up. Doesnt feel like I have loss of power, I get 12 to 13mpg every change which is average, no issues in driving at all.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

If the code was for the post cat sensor, yes, it’s because you don’t have a cat. Won’t affect the operation of the engine as all that sensor does is monitor the cat efficiency. You can buy an extender that gets the sensor out of the gas stream so it won’t trigger the light. Or just ignore it if you don’t have emissions inspections. But if you just leave it on all the time, you won’t know if another sensor somewhere goes bad since the light is already on.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Reset the codes, that one shouldn't come back for a while. If it does, deal with it then.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...095724&jsn=437

$135 for regular cab, re-uses the cat and the first pipe after the cat. Food for thought, do you actually need a new exhaust? Could you take a picture of the y pipes and the cat so we can see what's actually missing?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...095724&jsn=445 Curious if this is still under the truck.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:27 AM
C12Creed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not responding in so long. Went out of state for family emergency, and just thought about the forums again today. The CEL went away after I replaced both o2 sensors before I left mid june, 40$ on amazon, 1 bolt each no rewiring, thankfully. Hasn't come back on at all throughout July. I was hoping the o2 sensors would solve my final problem that I've had for awhile now haha. Reposting a thread on it now. Thanks yall.

Quick Reply: Catalytic and o2 sensor help