2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's actually overheating and it isn't just a faulty temp sensor?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put a 160 thermostat in it. Your Thermostat may be stuck closed.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Fan clutch might not be working.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEN357
Put a 160 thermostat in it. Your Thermostat may be stuck closed.
A 160º thermostat is not going to solve the issue of an engine overheating. One of two scenarios will happen if he does this:
1) The engine will never achieve the proper operating temperature
2) The engine will continue to run hot

Throwing in a colder thermostat is a lazy hack that does not solve the problem.

I fought an engine running hot and blowing coolant for two years until I found someone who could check the coolant for hydrocarbons. It takes all of 10 minutes for the test results to appear. The issue for mine was a bad head gasket. Once I tore into the engine it turned out both head gaskets were allowing blow-by when the engine was under load.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
A 160º thermostat is not going to solve the issue of an engine overheating. One of two scenarios will happen if he does this:
1) The engine will never achieve the proper operating temperature
2) The engine will continue to run hot

Throwing in a colder thermostat is a lazy hack that does not solve the problem.

I fought an engine running hot and blowing coolant for two years until I found someone who could check the coolant for hydrocarbons. It takes all of 10 minutes for the test results to appear. The issue for mine was a bad head gasket. Once I tore into the engine it turned out both head gaskets were allowing blow-by when the engine was under load.
This simple hack works for now I guess, although It looks as if there is a freeze plug leaking on the right side of the motor, kinda in the center or more towards the rear. I'm only using Water currently because I'm not gonna keep buying coolant when its leaking out. I can see the big puddles of water drop below some corrosion on a Freeze Plug. So would that mean I have to take the motor out to replace those?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you can see it, you don't need to pull the motor. Just take the stuff in the way, out of the way. Since you are replacing the freeze plug, doesn't matter if you damage it, so, drive a screwdriver thru it, and pry it out. I used a socket, and short extension to drive the new ones in.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can see it, you don't need to pull the motor. Just take the stuff in the way, out of the way. Since you are replacing the freeze plug, doesn't matter if you damage it, so, drive a screwdriver thru it, and pry it out. I used a socket, and short extension to drive the new ones in.
Oh alright, well that doesn't sound too bad, is there anything I'll need besides a new freeze plug to do so? Does it get gasket maker on it or?
And I just press it in there myself and it'll go in until its flush or is there a special tool I'd need?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

A bit of RTV around the sealing surface sure wouldn't hurt. No special tools required.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

That leaking freeze plug will certainly contribute to the overheating issue you have described. If that's a block freeze plug, it should be a 1-5/8" diameter plug. When you remove it, check for the crud/rust around the cylinders. If there is a lot of crud around those cylinders, that also contributes to overheating. There are also freeze plugs in the front and back of the heads, which are 1-1/4".

Old 07-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
That leaking freeze plug will certainly contribute to the overheating issue you have described. If that's a block freeze plug, it should be a 1-5/8" diameter plug. When you remove it, check for the crud/rust around the cylinders. If there is a lot of crud around those cylinders, that also contributes to overheating. There are also freeze plugs in the front and back of the heads, which are 1-1/4".
Thank god, a few friends said I had blown a head gasket, but I just looked at them with a stupid face because I showed them where the water was coming from. So thank you lol.

I'll get this done on Payday and let you know how it goes, thank you again to everyone else as well!

Quick Reply: Overheating