2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent A/C and Low RPM Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Fixed!

Turned out to just be the connector to the AC compressor. I cleaned the contacts, and fiddled with it and noticed it started running, wiggled more and it stopped. So I shoved it on as far as I could and got it running and then zip tied the connector tight. I guess the factory tab and lock just weren't holding it in the right spot.

Edit: Actually, something's up with the loom that runs along the drivers side of the intake manifold. It wasn't the connector. If I wiggle the whole loom, the compressor will get power or lose power. I pulled the loom up and forward and it seems to be constant now. Must be a wire grounding inappropriately on the back of the block or the firewall or something. I'll check it out later. For now, just happy to be cool!

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 07-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:43 AM
computersavvy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Fixed!

Turned out to just be the connector to the AC compressor. I cleaned the contacts, and fiddled with it and noticed it started running, wiggled more and it stopped. So I shoved it on as far as I could and got it running and then zip tied the connector tight. I guess the factory tab and lock just weren't holding it in the right spot.

Edit: Actually, something's up with the loom that runs along the drivers side of the intake manifold. It wasn't the connector. If I wiggle the whole loom, the compressor will get power or lose power. I pulled the loom up and forward and it seems to be constant now. Must be a wire grounding inappropriately on the back of the block or the firewall or something. I'll check it out later. For now, just happy to be cool!
That sounds like a possible broken wire with intermittent connection (or another connector with intermittent connection.) Moving the wiring harness may have (temporarily) made good contact but for a permanent fix you really need to find out where the intermittent connection is located. If it was a wire grounding you would likely find a blown fuse.

Mine has 2 connectors located at the AC compressor. One to the compressor clutch (down low) and one to the hp switch (on the pipe just above the compressor.) The wire to the hp pressure switch is part of the control circuit for the ac relay and an open circuit there will turn off the relay and thus stop the AC. The wire to the clutch provides power from the relay to operate the clutch. The problem may still be no more than a corroded connector. I would check and clean the other connector (hp) which is located there.

Quick Reply: Intermittent A/C and Low RPM Hesitation Issues