46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This... - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This...

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This...

Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 AM
cjames1173
Amateur
Default 46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This...

Before anyone tells me I need to replace it, I've already ordered a whole new tranny+converter from TRANSDEPOT.net. I have a 2000 RAM 1500 4x2 Quad CAB with 6.6' box.
I was on the Interstate hauling *** (75-80 mph) when this happened. All I noticed was a blown U-joint (recently replaced). Of all the mechanics I've talked to INCLUDING the man building my replacement, nobody has seen this happen from a U-joint failure alone. It sounded like a 12-gauge went off under my truck when this happened and I literally "grinded" to a halt so loudly my ears rang. I was lucky to make it to the shoulder. I'm also replacing my Drive Shaft, as i have little faith that the old one is any good. I'm installing the new tranny&converter on the 15th along with new trans & motor mounts. Is there anything else I should check out while I'm under there? Thanks!! The Photos are WILD

Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 AM
cjames1173
Amateur
Default 46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This...

Before anyone tells me I need to replace it, I've already ordered a whole new tranny+converter from TRANSDEPOT.net. I have a 2000 RAM 1500 4x2 Quad CAB with 6.6' box.
I was on the Interstate hauling *** (75-80 mph) when this happened. All I noticed was a blown U-joint (recently replaced). Of all the mechanics I've talked to INCLUDING the man building my replacement, nobody has seen this happen from a U-joint failure alone. It sounded like a 12-gauge went off under my truck when this happened and I literally "grinded" to a halt so loudly my ears rang. I was lucky to make it to the shoulder. I'm also replacing my Drive Shaft, as i have little faith that the old one is any good. I'm installing the new tranny&converter on the 15th along with new trans & motor mounts. Is there anything else I should check out while I'm under there? Thanks!! The Photos are WILD

Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator

Merged duplicate threads.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Internal failure that likely jammed something between moving parts, and the case.... a 6000 pound truck has a LOT of momentum..... something had to give.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE Catastrophic Failure! Thoughts On What Caused This...

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: