2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Bus - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Bus - No Start

I have the following codes along with No Bus in the dash. Under this condition the 2000 Ram SLT will not start. I have the entire front of the engine off as I'm fixing a timing cover gasket leak but know the ECM threw the following codes...

P0202
P0132
P0207

Anyone with any insight?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 972ndGenSLT
I have the following codes along with No Bus in the dash. Under this condition the 2000 Ram SLT will not start. I have the entire front of the engine off as I'm fixing a timing cover gasket leak but know the ECM threw the following codes...

P0202
P0132
P0207

Anyone with any insight?
You have a wiring issue or the PCM is shot...

Old 07-09-2018, 08:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

An O2 sensor code, and two injector circuit codes.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 PM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You have a wiring issue or the PCM is shot...
Also, (MoparFanatic21) lets talk PCM's, This is one I picked up at a local yard from the same make/model Ram as the original PCM took a dump within 14 days of an as-is purchase, replaced it worked for a while. One day while driving around the neighborhood it sprung a critical coolant leak, as coolant drained we limped home. Replaced water pump, attempted to start it, No-Bus & No-start, coolant still leaking. Found the coolant leak to be the timing chain cover, so I've began that repair. Could, and I mean is there any way when the engine lost compression based on the timing chain gasket failure it killed the PCM? Am I dealing with two separate matters?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 PM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
An O2 sensor code, and two injector circuit codes.
So (HeyYou) I know the o2 sensors could use a changing, but cars/trucks have driven for years on bad o2 sensors and not caused a situation like this. In your experience has o2 sensors caused No Bus with a failure to start?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The dodge system is kinda strange...... it's basically a small computer network in your truck. PCM talks to CTM (central timer module, essentially a network switch) which talks to the cluster, etc. If one of your five volt sensors is failing, the PCM gets confused, and stops talking. To anything. Hence, no bus.

Supposedly, you can find the failing sensor by unplugging them one at a time, until the cluster starts working again. Of course, with some sensors unplugged, it's likely the engine won't run anyway.

Timing cover gasket has nothing to do with PCM, nor would it be responsible for low compression. You have several problems you are fighting.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The dodge system is kinda strange...... it's basically a small computer network in your truck. PCM talks to CTM (central timer module, essentially a network switch) which talks to the cluster, etc. If one of your five volt sensors is failing, the PCM gets confused, and stops talking. To anything. Hence, no bus.

Supposedly, you can find the failing sensor by unplugging them one at a time, until the cluster starts working again. Of course, with some sensors unplugged, it's likely the engine won't run anyway.

Timing cover gasket has nothing to do with PCM, nor would it be responsible for low compression. You have several problems you are fighting.
Ok, I may have misspoke about the compression, that was an assumption based on a chunk of the TCC Gasket missing and coolant spewing out. What you've explained though leads me to believe I'll need to snag a few more PCM's while my local yard is having another 50% off sale this weekend.

Quick Reply: No Bus - No Start