2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Blondiegirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core

Could anyone tell me how to tell if your heater core is clogged? My heater barely heats at all. I thought maybe it was the thermostat, but someone said if that was the case then i would not get any heat at all. I do get some heat, but not very hot. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
livinginh
Veteran
Default RE: Heater core

Not sure on how to tell about the heater core unless you pull the hoses off the heater core and try to flush water through it, if it runs freely then not clogged, you need to do this in a back flush way, backwards of how the water normally flows, that way if it has something clogging it, should push it back out.

As for thermastat, you can still get a bit of heat even it it is bad(mine did) it was stuck open(actually almost fell apart), so it was slowing the water enough to give a bit of heat, but not doing what it should.

I would go ahead and change it anyway, for some reason, people over look the thermostat way more then they should. It should be changed at least every 2 years. Good luck

Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Heater core

Have you checked your coolant level? If your coolant is low, your heater core will not get much in the way of flow...especially when the vehicle is moving.

Quick Reply: Heater core