2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just curiosity killin the cat again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just curiosity killin the cat again...

ok i was just curious...

how much money have you all spent on your truck? it seems like i need about 50grand to do all that i want to do eventually. (ok that's an exageration)

oh and i posted some pics of my subs and amp. and also one of the DF.com sticker. check the photo album.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: just curiosity killin the cat again...

Well, I never owned a Ram, but I did own two Dakotas. The trick with modding isnt in spending the most cash for the best name brand things.

The real trick is finding out what works best for what you want to do. If you're an off-roading kinda guy, you wont need to go super fast. If you're a speedster, chances are you wont be needing all-terrain tires and a winch.

The bottom line is to figure out where you want to take this truck and go from there. I personally spent 3 grand on my last Dakota. I did performance tires, lowered it 2/3 to get it level, K&N performance intake, sway bar, performance shocks, and I also put on a better throttle body and drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes.

I also had a decent soundsystem and built my own fiberglass box for my Dakota. The trick is to find the good deals and also to be a penny pincher. You want quality over quantity. No point in going 100mph in under 12 seconds if you can't stop the truck once you get there.

Best thing I can tell you is to take one step at a time, and to do it right from the get go. Don't slap on a supercharger before you build up the engine to handle it. Dont slap on performance tires and then expect to handle like a sportscar.

My truck ran pretty dang decent when it was done. Wasnt the fastest thing on wheels, but it outhandled alot of cars and was faster then you'd expect. I actually think I wound up with a 4.7L HO engine. I never bothered to check to be honest. It just never seemed as slow as others who had a 4.7L.

Good luck man!

Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said, you see alot of people doing all kinds of mods to their vehicle, like putting in a 180 thermostat, cold air intake, then turning around and putting uncoated/enshielded headers on that increases the temp under the hood, one mod cancelled out another.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 PM
01ramclassic
All Star

umm, I've spent a little chunk on my truck since i've gotten it.

-Kenwood Excelon CD player
-Rocksford Fosgate P2 12's and RF amp
-K&N CAI
-Dual Flowmasters
-New Tranny[:@]
-Window tint and windshield brows
-"Viper Style" steel cowl hood
-Xenon bulbs
-oem foglights
the list goes on...
there is some others and it all adds up to around 5k not including the new tranny, it was about 1,700!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 PM
arkansasmp

i agree with everything thats been said here just make up your mind which way you want to go and stick with it and do your homework before you do anything. Read about everything you want to do to insure that you like stated before dont cancel one mod out by doing another. But to answer your question

Lift,Tires,Wheels,Gears,Kenwwod headunit,OEM Foglights,Optima yellowtop,billet grill,toolboxand new hoodthats being painted,window tint,and im sure im forgetting little things but thats around 6500 dollars so far and im not done yet.

Good luck with your rig man

Old 12-05-2005, 11:01 PM
1500sport
Professional

Hell its easy to drop a almost $1000 in just tires and wheels let alone everything else.

Tires/wheels=$900
Window tent=$125
Tonneau cover=$220
Bugshield=$50
CD player=$100+
Step bars=$180
Exhaust=too damn much ($340)
Custom decals=free (HELL YA)
Mudflaps=$30
Window vent visors=$40 I think

Everyone else wanting it-----PRICELESS

Quick Reply: just curiosity killin the cat again...