2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC compressor not turning on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC compressor not turning on.

Hey guys, So about a year and a half i've unplugged my AC electrical! This cause i had a leak in my AC system somewhere and didn't wanna screw up the clutch.
My neighbour told me if i unplug it electrical and it's still driven by belt the clutch or compressor won't be damaged.

Now today i've went for a fill up of my AC system, with leak detection fluid. So we could fix this problem... I've plugged in my wires , but the AC compressor fails to kick in... it doesn't spin at all...
So did i **** up my AC compressor by unplugging it and still having the belt on? Or could it be an other issue? With the engine turned off i can move the clutch by hand...

Grts, Laurens

Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Nope. Didn't screw anything up. Gotta have enough pressure in the system before the clutch will actually engage. How much did you put in? Do you have a gauge that reads low-side pressure?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

I've went to the shop they did the fill up... Did some searching on the internet , and found something about spacingshims between the clutch and pully. I've decided to try taking one out and see how that goes... Turned out the compressor started kicking in and was cooling the car properly! So for now everything is working, except i'll have to go back to the shop to test for leaks.

I've seen on the internet there are a few spacing shims in between.. mine only had one.. took it out, tested.. and worked ! AC turns on and off !

Thanks for the help

Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Means the clutch is getting worn. Run it as long as it lasts.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Okay, is it possible to renew the clutch alone? Don't see it listed on rocketauto..
Also, while driving when i give gas i hear and feel the AC produces less airflow.. could this be leak related? Just came from the shop, normally they'd look for leaks, but they coulnd't find their lamp.. so got another apointment next week !

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look up the clutch by the numbers on the compressor itself. So far as I know, just the clutch isn't offered if you look it up by vehicle application.

I would also suspect that you are still getting the same airflow, just not where you expect it from. When you give it gas, manifold vacuum drops, and, as your vents are vacuum powered...... they probably just switch to defrost vents. There is a fix for that. Check out the "wild vents" thread in the faq/diy section.

Quick Reply: AC compressor not turning on.