2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is there a way to tell if a tranny has been rebuilt ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a way to tell if a tranny has been rebuilt ?

found a donor transmission for my truck. I have a later model 46re so because of the electronics they only used one I can find is one from craigslist. I was talking to the guy and he said the truck ( which by the way of the photos looked well maintained and in very good shape) had a knocking engine when he received it as a junker and the guy said it was rebuilt not too long ago. he said if he pulled it he'd let me get it for 500$ but I was wondering if theres anyway at all to tell if its rebuilt without tearing into it ? ill pull the pan at the very least to check for shavings. he said he'd guarantee it and if not he'd give me my money back so if it looks good im gonna write a bill of sale and receipt stating that if he signs he agrees to refunding me.

I mean this is all I can do. I called everyone in my area and no one has it. the closest is 150 miles and I dont have a ride. I dont have the 3 grand for a rebuild and install or for a new built transmission. it needs a little bit of work to get her looking nice again because of the rusted dent on the bed and the matte paint is peeling so if it comes to that I may as well scrap it and buy a pussyboy Toyota or honda for a DDer lol. all I could afford to save up for atm.

I mean 500$ isnt much for a transmission period but it is 500$ almost a full weeks pay for me. im not a gambling man.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, get it in writing. If he is actually willing to sign it, then chances are good, he is telling you the truth.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:08 PM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, get it in writing. If he is actually willing to sign it, then chances are good, he is telling you the truth.
thats what I figured. If anything it'll show if hes being honest or not and help me dodge a bullet.

Quick Reply: is there a way to tell if a tranny has been rebuilt ?